Mystery Man

Alyss looked at her new cabin. She had met the older man who had obviously been the head of the party looking for her. She wondered if he was the ranch owner. He seemed nice.

She had asked him if there was a spare cabin available, and without a second glance, he pointed it out to her, and handed her the key. She was grateful that he hadn't asked questions. She wouldn't have known what to say.

She tossed her sleeping bag on the bottom bunk, disgusted with her innocence the past few months. She could tell it had been going on far longer then just a couple days, and had started linking incidents where Jody was over at her and Kevin's apartment without her at home. The fact that they had both been a bit disheveled each time gave her all the information she needed. The fact was, she didn't publicly humiliate Kevin and Jody because she didn't want to be 'the girl who got cheated on by her best friend and boyfriend'.

She shuddered at the thought of the pointing, and the sympathetic looks. She knew the stoic facade she was holding would crumble if someone knew the truth. Then, the tears would come. She wondered if anyone of her 'friends' knew the truth, and just hadn't said anything. She would've preferred honesty, from anyone, rather then the pain that ran deep to her core.

Her stomach grumbled, as if trying to distract her from her ever depressing thoughts. She put her suitcase in the corner, and made sure everything was in order before leaving, and locking the door behind her. If anyone else wanted in, they would just have to ask, she thought grimly.

The building that was the kitchen came into view, and her nose twitched at the smells coming from it. She walked a bit faster, realizing how hungry she was.

She put her hand on the door handle, when it was suddenly pushed open by a group of men exiting. She recoiled, and stepped back as they passed. The last one held the door open for her, and she nodded politely at him as she stepped inside. She didn't look at his face, otherwise she would've seen the smirk that came from watching her.

Strangers POV

The ranch hands ahead of him pushed the door open, and he saw a figure quickly move out of the way. They moved off to do their work, but he couldn't believe his eyes when he saw it was her.

-Flashback-

After his nightly patrol, he had been coming in from checking on the cattle, and heard a sound.

Going to investigate, he recognized it as.. someone crying? He brushed aside a branch hampering his view, and came across someone on the ground, sobbing quietly, almost tiredly. He couldn't help going over to her, and drawling in his best southern accent, "You look like you could use some help ma'am."

She shrieked and stood up so quickly startled him, but he kept his face stoic, a slightly sarcastic look on his face. Not that she could see it, but it helped him keep his cool.

Even with twigs sticking out of her hair, she had an air about her, that made him wonder what had happened to make her cry.

"Thanks, but I've got to get back to my cabin." she said after a pause. She turned and started to walk away, and he smirked.

"Uh, miss? Cabins are that way." he called.

From being in the dark for a while, he could see fairly well, so he saw her blush after she turned in his direction. She rushed by him without a word, and he widened the smirk on his face.

"I'll remember that one," he murmured to himself.

Then he saw something on the ground. He stooped and picked it up. It was a locket, probably from her pocket. It had a worn and treasured look to it. He looked around, hoping to still see her, but didn't see her anywhere. He unhitched his horse from the branch he had secured her on, and led her towards the cabins.

He reached them just as she stepped out of one. Something made him hold back from calling out to her. Instead, he watched her as she walked to the barn with a blanket in her hands. He ground tied his mare before following her, keeping to the shadows. She went to the barn and climbed into the loft. He was glad she wasn't stupid enough to sleep in a stall like you read in the books, as sleeping in a stall with an unknown horse could get you trampled.

He went to the barn door, and heard a sob. Even his guarded heart softened at the sound. It was the sound of ultimate heartbreak. The sound was being ripped from her, and it made him curious as to what had happened to make her so miserable. He wanted to know who she was, and what had put that light of distrust in her eyes.

He stood there, unsure of what to do, until her sobs lessened, and her breathing slowed. He went to the ladder to the other side of the barn loft, and quickly and quietly went up it. He stopped halfway, and looked across the barn where she lay. The moon was almost full, giving him enough light to see her face, and the wet tracks on her cheeks. She was curled up into a ball, looking helpless and vulnerable.

He told himself he would keep a close eye on her, just in case. A voice in the back of his head told him it wasn't just because she was like his sister, and that what he was feeling, watching her sleep like that, was not sisterly. He ignored it.

-End Flashback-

He shook his head, and watched her go into the kitchen, and order a plate of food. With a smile, he took a seat in the back, and watched her eat, studying the emotions on her face as she ate. There was a general air of mistrust around her, which he couldn't understand, as he had recalled seeing her the day of arrival, and she had seemed happy, and carefree. Her friends had laughed, but he had sensed something between the blonde and the guy, despite the guys arm being around the redheads waist.

She finished eating, and gave her plate to the staff, before walked out. He waited a few seconds before following her, and saw her walking towards the barn. He quirked an eyebrow, and followed. She seemed to be around animals whenever feeling troubled, he noticed. Her expression as she strode out of the kitchen said much as to her current state of emotions, but he quietly wondered again, just what had happened to make such a carefree expression as she had worn the first day at the ranch, turn into the agonizing sobs he had heard coming from the barn loft.

She strode into the barn, and he slowly walked forward to follow her. However, he was tapped on the shoulder, and turned to find his foreman behind him.

"Sir, we have a situation. One of the horses is lame, and we're about to go on the trail ride. There are too many inexperianced riders, and not enough horses. What should we do?"

He sighed. Being a ranch owner sometimes had its moments. Then, he took a look towards the barn, and saw the girl mingling with the crowd waiting for the trail ride. She looked around, before walking over to a stall, and feeding the coal black gelding a handful of grass.

He watched her with the horse for a bit, before his foreman cleared his throat. Jerking his attention back to the man, he smiled, and stated, "I have a plan. Just leave it to me."

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Note: for those who don't know, foreman is the second in command on a ranch, and a gelding is a.. uh.. neutered male horse :)

Hope you all like, its five am, so pardon anything out of the ordinary in this chapter. Would've been up sooner, but laptop seems to be having trouble recently, so.. I'm doing my best! :)

Also, I'm not sure if I mentioned Alyss was a redhead.. If I didn't, then excuse that misshap, and i'll try and fix it soon.. currently, I have to go to bed, as my dad just went to work.. thank goodness he didn't notice the light from my computer! 0.o