Chapter 41

Start from the beginning

'Wait a minute Laura, stop overreacting. You need to calm down. It's only a coincidence. Just 'cause this dude happens to share some physical similarities with him, doesn't mean that they're related.' I thought to myself.

The young man was around six feet tall, thus making him the tallest person in the room. Even though he had a buzz cut, you could still tell that his hair was a orange-brownish color, making him a ginger. Besides his well-built and muscular physique and chiseled features, his eyes were blue, cerulean blue. His skin was practically pale like mine, except it had more of a tan hue to it. Making it appear a bit more sun-kissed than translucent.

One particular feature that stood that to me was an old scar that ran along his left cheek, approximately the length of my index finger. The young man was wearing a grey v-shirt shirt; his sleeves partially rolled up to his elbows. Along with a pair of navy blue jeans; secured around his waist with a brown belt, and a pair of brown combat boots.

"I'm sorry, who are you?" I asked him, gaining his attention straight away.

When he was about to introduce himself to me, Leon, Chris, and a petite, blonde girl I've never seen before entered the room. The woman walked over towards the ginger, taking a sip out of her strawberry-banana smoothie in hand before standing next to him, on the right side of my hospital bed.

The guys came in, silently sitting down in a chair positioned beside my bed while clutching their left cheeks. What surprised me most was that both of their left cheeks were completely raw and a bit swollen. As I took a closer look at them, the areas' that were utterly all red and puffy appeared to make up the shape of a handprint.

"What happened you two?" I inquired, gesturing towards their cheeks.

"We acted out of line and ended up getting our asses handed to us by shortcake over here." Leon pointed his thumb over at the blonde woman, as a tiny smile creeped onto her lips.

"You guys had it coming either way," She reminded them, before redirecting her gaze over at me. "Oh, where are my manners. I'm Sherry, Sherry Birkin." She held out her hand to me.

"Nice to meet you Sherry. I'm Laura, Laura Rose." I grasped her hand, genuinely shaking it for a brief moment before shifting my gaze towards the man standing beside her. "And who might you be Cheeto-head?" I asked him.

"The name's Jake, Jake Muller," He introduced himself, as he held out his hand to me. A small smile decorating his lips. "It's a pleasure to finally meet you, Laura." I grabbed his hand—shaking it for a moment.

"What brings you two here to Washington?" I questioned them.

"It's a long story actually. To sum it all up, we came here because Leon told us that you were in desperate need of a blood transfusion, and Jake happened to be the only possible donor that they know of with the same blood type as you."

"How do you know my stepfather?" I inquired.

"We're family friends, we've known each other for quite a long time. " Sherry answered, then continued where she last left off. "Thanks to my boyfriend here, you're now getting the transfusion you need." When she finished her sentence, I gazed over at my IV pole.

It took me up till now to finally notice the two blood bags hooked onto one of the metal hooks. Each of them had one end of a tube connected to them, while the other was attached to my forearm. Allowing the blood to flow from the bag into my vein, into my system.