Chapter 8

We galloped faster towards the castle. Both of us wore our traveling cloaks to battle the cold from the changing of autumn to winter. Our hoods up to protect from the wind of riding. When we arrived the men at the gate seemed to not notice us.

"Open the gate," Alex said.

"State your business," the guard said.

"I am Prince Alexzander and I demand you open the gate."

Without another word, they bowed and raised the bars. Silently, we rode to the stables where we left the horse and returned inside the castle. When we entered we were greeted with bows from the servants as we walked into the throne room. There his father sat on his seat of honor speaking with an army general.

"Oh, he's back," he spat obviously upset with the both of us, personally I didn't care.

"Father," Alex retorted.

"What are you doing back here," the king asked.

"I live here don't I. And, last I checked, I was still the next king," Alex spat.

"How I wish you weren't," Kevin said getting up and walking over to us.

He began to slide his hands up and down my sides.

"I have missed you, though," he said as he bent down to kiss my neck.

Alex pulled me from his grasp.

"Would you be so kind as to keep your hands off my wife?"

The tension in the room rose.

"Your wife," the king asked as I felt Alex push me, so his body was shielding me.

"Yes, we were just married. Isn't it wonderful? Now if you'll excuse us, we will be returning to my, excuse me, our chambers after visiting my new mother in-law," Alex said taking my hand and leading me out of the room.

"I really would like to meet your mother," he said once we were far enough from the throne room that he felt he didn't need to protect me as much.

"I'm sure she would be happy to see you. She's probably in the kitchen," I told him expecting him to begin walking that way. "You don't know where that is do you," I asked him, he shook his head.

I smiled.

"This way."

I pulled him down a flight of stairs and through the basement levels into the kitchens. There everyone bowed to him.

"Delilah," I said as she was standing closest, "do you know where my mother is?"

She smiled.

"She just went to the garden."

I took Alex's hand.

"Thank you."

Pulling him behind me I led Alex outside to the small patch of dirt where we grew fresh produce. Before we reached it, however, we ran into Sage who must have been coming to the kitchen for some grain.

"Sage," I said. He bowed seeing the Prince behind me.

I shook my head and hugged him.

"Alex this is my brother Sage," I said.

"I wasn't aware you had a brother," Alex said extending his hand to him.

My brother stood for a moment very confused before taking his hand.

"Sage this is my husband Alexzander," I said to him and his eyes widened.

"Does Mom know," he asked.

"We were on our way to speak with her when we ran into you," I told him.

He smiled.

"Well, you should go tell her, I have some work I need to do," he said with a joking board expression.

"Your Highness," he inclined his head to Alex. "Princess."

He kissed my hand and walked away. As he did I stood there shocked.

"Are you alright," Alexzander asked me.

"Yeah, it's just I hadn't realized I was a princess now. Its a little strange."

He smiled.

"It suits you, don't worry. You'll get used to it."

He kissed my cheek before I led him to the garden.

"Mother," I called, and she looked up from a row of cucumbers.

"Mariana," she exclaimed rushing over.

It was then she saw Alex.

"Your Highness," she curtsied.

"Alex this is my mother. Mother this is my husband, Alexzander," I said he took her hand and kissed it.

"Pleasure to meet you Ms. Hepburn."

She looked beside herself.

"Your husband," she asked me, I nodded.

"Well I know you two will be very happy together," my mother said before turning and walking back into the kitchen.