nine (I)

so sorry for not updating for ages! i've been busy but recently rewatched the film and have become inspired again :) warning - these next few chapters may play with your emotions a little bit... sorry!

the circus seems more subdued than usual today.

it's not really a problem, as peace and quiet is quite rare here, so it's welcomed.

everyone's tidying up after a not-so-successful show, which probably dampened the atmosphere.

there's more and more protestors every day, and today was, by far, the worst we've seen. pt isn't here to guide the troupe, so many of us have lost our tempers and lashed out in retaliation. but there's still fighting going on outside, i think.

i call juno to heel and we walk to the far back of the circus to hang up our equipment. i'm hanging juno's leash and collar up on the pegs when juno stands suddenly and begins pacing.

"what's up, boy?" i say, looping the leash round a hook on the wall. he then starts whimpering and pawing at my feet, looking quite agitated.

i laugh at him a few times, finding it quite amusing. i reach round my neck and unclasp my necklace. it's very cliché but it's the only thing that came with me when i was given to the orphanage, and it's basically priceless to me. however, as i'm reaching up to place it onto a shelf, juno barrels into my legs and knocks me to the floor. the gold necklace falls to the ground and smashes into millions of pieces.

"juno!" i scream. "why did you do that?!" he cowers away as i bend down to pick up the shards. still, though, juno persistently nudges into me and starts barking. tired and upset from the day's events, i stand up and grab juno by the collar. he whimpers as i open the backstage door and drag him out of it.

"stupid dog!" he cowers down. "get out!" i yell as i slam the door shut behind me.

i then pace over to the remains of the necklace and angrily sweep them away, tears running down my face.

after it's cleared, i pack away the rest of my stuff and throw myself down onto a chair. i then pull my sleeve down and wipe my eyes before leaning back and close my eyes.

it's been a long day.