6th Firewane (Week 4) - Nic gets Shot

With the slime beast dead, we end up standing around in the sewer for a while. Given its maze-like qualities, we need to find the correct way to go. Kenneth has thrown up three times or so, which is worrying. Surely a Dwarf should be able to stay standing before the rest of us? Though I suppose the dextrous Elf was pulled into the sewer proper so, it seems as though all logic is gone.

Isolde, with her invisibility, goes scouting ahead and discovers the correct way to go – the way with the big, bloody hand print of course. I always end up examining my own hand when I see these: weird people with only five fingers on each hand, it is unnatural, I feel.

We are not being particularly quiet as we approach the main... uch... cistern. Kenneth is clumping around, I am not much quieter than him, and Isolde, despite being invisible, is quite easy to place because of her racket. Nic, Xanaphia and even Ivellios seem to be doing the best.

As we walk, Kenneth notices a residue of dark divine magic in a little circle at a T-junction. Another junction, amazing. Suddenly, there is a glowing... and I cannot see! What magic is this! I can only rely on my ears and I hear – I think – four loud noises. It seems as if we are under attack by more than one creature.

It takes me a while to readjust and, still blind, I go for a Shatter spell near where I hear the threat. There is the thunderous boom and Isolde cries out – I must have hit her. Well! Can I be blamed for that? For one thing I was blind, for another, she was invisible. Doesn't matter. Guilt is for the weak.

We finish them off, and are a bit fried afterwards but we press on. Nic inspires us by saying, quite oddly, "Be nice to strangers. Fake orgasms." I don't like to believe this is true.

We come to an open space and a large door. We theorise that this is the main chamber where we will meet the cult properly, so we spend... admittedly a long time talking about, admittedly, not a lot of things. We don't really get a plan in place very quickly but we eventually do. Nic will go in and attempt to reason with them. I am insulted my own democratic skills are overlooked but no matter – I am here to fight. Besides, the sewer has not put me in the best mood, so perhaps Nic is the better choice. He will keep the cult busy by talking to them and Isolde, invisible, will sneak in. Kenneth and I take up position either side of the door, as does Xanaphia. To calm myself, I light a cigarette. I bloody need one.

Nic goes through the door--

Nic immediately gets shot.

They were ready for us, somehow, they were ready for us. They probably heard us bickering through the wall. I am taken a bit by surprise and fumble slightly, so I am not as fast into action as I would have liked to be. These cultists have guns and dogs, both of which are targeted at Nic. Soon the dogs notice Kenneth and I and we begin to cut them down, me striking at one that is pinning Nic to the ground.

When that's dealt with, we move into the room. Our plan is garbage now, so we just try our best and come out on top. The cultists do not take a long time to go down, given they're wearing merely robes. Their bullets are no match for my armour, nor Kenneth's. We take a few wounds, and Kenneth captures one of the cultists.

I stand back during the interrogation, remembering what Nic did the last time. Kenneth takes the reins this time and breaks the man's fingers – it's quite frightening honestly. Nic is also nearby.

A... shape rises from the cultist – a demon of hunger. So suddenly does it pop up that we barely have time to react. It drains energy from us as we beat it down, but I think the bulk of our strength comes from our collective anger at this cistern. Why are we in a sewer! Does Arken not appreciate us at all?!

When that time-waste is dead, we go around and look for things to make it worth our while. As we do, Isolde's magic overpowers her and suddenly Nic is hovering around, flying, thanks to her power. That is quite cool. I must remember to have her try that on me one day.

We find a lot of things, including foodstuffs. Nic says we can make a ploughman's lunch with it all – I think that sounds delightful. He also finds some soiled pink ladies' pants. I don't know in what nature "soiled," but I don't ask. I find an ebony statue with rubies for eyes... it's very me, I feel, but Nic takes care of it for me in the Bag of Holding. We loot everything we find.