twenty eight

Three weeks later

Chan

"Is everyone here?" I ask while looking around in our meeting room, counting the remaining twelve before continuing on "Alright then, any questions before we start debriefing?"

No one said anything, cueing me to dim the lights and direct everyone's attention to my slideshow projected up on the screen, the first slide showing a news article of his parent's murder as well as the bloodstained file about Longwei while he was housed in a mental institution.

"Alright, as we already know: Lei Longwei, former heir to Royal Bloom Jeweler, was a man who had been arrested not to long after he murdered his parents. From what I found, his lawyers got him to plead under the insanity defense, leading him to just be placed into a psyche ward in Nanjing, China temporarily until he was approved to be transferred to a high surveillance mental institution in Seoul."

I then go onto the next slide with a news article saying the vehicle he was being transferred in ended up burning with his body was nowhere to be found inside.

"During his transfer, the vehicle he was in somehow exploded before it went up in flames. When police came to investigate the scene, the car was heavily damaged from the explosion and the staff in the car were killed. But when they went looking for Longwei's body, there was no trace of him in sight except for singed pieces of his clothes and a few hair samples. Police concluded that he was also killed in the accident and his body was burned in the fire, presuming that he's dead."

Continuing on, I warn the members that the next few slides have articles and photos of all the recent murder cases. 

"But as of recently, he's far from dead; he had survived the accident and escaped, he's currently laying low so the police won't be able to find him. And as we all know from Lady Ari, he goes out at night and kidnaps women who resemble Jia Mei's appearance in hopes of it being her. When he finds out it's not her, he just murders them and dumps their bodies out onto a random street the next day. I'm not sure why he's killing innocent women, nor do I know what he plans to do once he gets his hands on Jia Mei, but what I'm sure of is that she'll never truly be safe until we capture him."

"What should we do?" Wonwoo asks "We've been trying to look into the murders for weeks now and we still have no lead on where he could be hiding out right now. Shouldn't a few of us stake out the common areas bodies have been found and see if he pops up anywhere in that area?"

Sighing, I shake my head "A few of us have already attempted that, and each time he's one step ahead. It's like he knows someone is trying to track him down. Not to mention I came into contact with him a while ago, and I'm pretty sure if we weren't interrupted by someone walking by, he would've tried to end me then and there."

"We've been instructed by Lady Ari to not engage in physical combat unless we have no choice. Plus getting too close to him right now may put ourselves in danger as well." Seungcheol added in before I continued on.

"Indeed, we're going to have to come up with a strategy in order to corner him, though it may take a while until we do. Any questions?"

"How are we going to be able to corner him if he's always one step ahead?" Seungkwan remarks, unsure if we'd be able to capture Longwei at all.

I then stare at the files scattered across the table as I contemplated for a moment. Taking a deep breath, I knew what to do. It had a lot of risk, but if it meant cornering Longwei, then it'll be worth it.

"I have one plan, but it's going to take a lot of time and commitment."

From that point, we then began discussing the start to our long plan.