four

Chan watched them from afar, slowly trailing behind them and making it look like as if he were helping himself to get more food. After they disappeared into the building, he then headed into the building as well through the crowd of mingling people. Taking a drink off the tray an employee was holding as they walked by, he took a good swig and placed his glass down to go and find the couple.

Soon after wandering the halls a bit, he finds the couple standing there and talking; Chan hides around the corner and listens in on their conversation:

"My father called me again, flower." Longwei winced, not proud of admitting it.

"Again? Why can't he be happy for you, instead of his own business?" Jia Mei asked, her concern can be heard in her tone.

"Because unlike his business, I'm still not achieving much."

"But you extended the branches of Royal Bloom Jeweller here," she states before lowering her head and wonders "Is it... Is it because he still has something against my dad?"

Sighing, he nods "I'm not exactly sure why, but he always wants to compete with your father. I guess it's gotten too much to his head that he takes it out on me."

"He shouldn't be doing that, Longwei. He should be talking to my dad like an adult. They should be handling this like men!"

"I know, but father is stubborn and always refuses talking to your father when given the opportunity to talk it out like adults. Hell, he even filed a restraining order on your family! But despite all the anger he takes out on me- I know that sounds bad, but I know that deep down that both he and my stepmom love me as their son."

"Wei, it shouldn't be considered 'love' if they physically and verbally hurt you like this all the time." she desperately emphasizes "It's not 'love' if they're constantly hurting you and not even considering your feelings! It's not fair!"

"And nothing was supposed to happen if I followed his orders. But here I am, enduring the pain just so I can be with you."

Jia Mei then pulls him in for a hug "You don't deserve such awful treatment. It's too much for you, and you've been through enough already."

He then hugs her back "I know, but at the same time, it'll all be ok. You shouldn't worry about me, Mei. it's your birthday party after all."

"I should worry, Wei. I don't care if it's my birthday, our dads can talk this out if you let me help."

He remained silent before he quietly admitted to her "Flower, darling... My father is forcing me to go back to China. He wants me to get married to someone else, an heiress I've never met."

Those words crushed her heart, and before she could ask, he continued his explanation "I'm against it as much as you are, and you know that. I'd hope to actually get married to you one day; though that plan is interrupted because father says if I truly don't follow his commands this time, he'll take away everything from me."

"But-"

"If you're thinking about my apartment, my half of the business, and my inheritance, that's all nothing to me. 'Everything' as in he's going to harm you and your family in some way, and I don't want you harmed nor miserable because of me." He then pulls away from their hug and got her to look into his eyes, which were only full of tears as hers began to well up also, luckily her makeup was waterproof.
Planting a kiss on her forehead, he holds her tight again as they both began to cry.

"I'll always love you, flower." He whispers to her "Even if you don't love me anymore and move on to love someone else, I'll protect you and make sure you're safe."