The Nobody

His lips halted, inches away from touching her own. They both stared at each other in shock and disbelief.

Was this really happening?

"Please tell me I'm just hearing things," she said, gripping his shirt sleeves.

He didn't respond. He let go of her body and backed away as if she was on fire. "Shit."

Shit.

"Are you okay?"

Gabriella jumped at the sound of a feminine and articulate voice. A brown-skinned girl was standing in front of her with a worried expression on her face. She had curly dark hair that was pulled back with a purple headband that matched her purple shirt, paired with simple blue jeans and flats. She was holding on to a handle that was attached to a backpack with wheels, something that Gabriella hadn't seen since elementary school.

"You look like you're going to be sick," said the girl. "Do you need to go to the nurse?"

Gabriella finally found her voice. "No, no. It's my first day. I'm just – "

The girl smiled as if coming to an epiphany. "Oh, that's right! Gabriella Montez!"

She furrowed her brows. "Have we met?"

"We have now." She held out her hand. "I'm Taylor McKessie. I was wondering how I'd find you. I'll be showing you around until you're comfortable on your own two feet."

Gabriella shook Taylor's hand and started to feel relieved. This girl was normal. She had to be. "Oh, okay. At least you aren't like that one guy."

"What guy?"

She raised her hand over her head a bit. "This tall, blue eyes, dark hair. I forgot his name. Bolton? "

Taylor raised her eyebrows and quickly put her hand out as if to physically stop Gabriella's movements. "Oh, no. Honey, that's Troy Bolton. Lesson one: stay away from him."

"Why?"

The girls walked into the classroom together and sat in the second row. Taylor kept her focus on Gabriella as she continued. "Troy is a major deal here. Every girl wants him because he is nice, attractive and very athletic. Plus, Sharpay already has a claim on him."

"What's a Sharpay?" Gabriella cringed at the name. Poor kid, she thought.

Taylor held back a laugh. "She's basically like a little Chihuahua. She stars in all the school musicals and gets whatever she wants. Think of her as the Queen Bee."

"I thought that was always the cheerleader," said Gabriella.

More kids started to file into the classroom. A few glanced at "the new girl", but otherwise ignored her.

Taylor dropped her voice. "Cheerleaders are a lot nicer than her, trust me."

A short woman with long hair and a large mug of coffee entered the room, clearly not in the appropriate mood to interact just yet with other humans. She had a tired look in her eyes as she set papers down on her desk and left the room with her mug, mumbling something about getting more coffee.

Gabriella turned back in her seat and got her books out on her desk, preparing for the class. Taylor did the same but gave her a look as if to tell her that she really did need to stay away from Troy.

As the teacher returned with fresh coffee and began class in a monotonous tone, Gabriella's thoughts quickly wondered back to what Taylor said.

She had a point. Plus, Gabriella wasn't interested in getting to know Troy. She wanted to stay hidden for the rest of her high school career and Troy Bolton was not going to help that. He was a well-liked kid. Not even that. He was a popular kid.

Just like he was. Luke.

After class, Taylor showed Gabriella around the school. This continued as classes ended until it was finally time for lunch. Taylor led Gabriella through the halls and the bustle of students that seemed to lead the way like the current of an ocean. Gabriella was met with a large entryway packed with round tables with the letter "E" on top, two stairs that led to a balcony with more tables and many students that seemed to have their own group.

"This is the cafeteria," announced Taylor, spreading her arms out in a dramatic fashion. "Feel free to choose from the jocks, heavy metals and skaters."

Gabriella furrowed her brows. "Uh, what?"

Taylor laughed and hooked a hand through Gabriella's elbow. She led the way. "I'm kidding. Avoid mingling with other groups. The social hierarchy is pretty permanent in this school."

"What are you?" she asked.

Taylor led them to a spot near the windows. They both sat on the steps, the sun shining on their backs. "I don't belong to a certain group. I guess, though, I'd be considered a "nerd". I get good grades and participate in the academics around here."

Gabriella nodded and looked around, confirming Taylor's words. Everybody was in their own group. She immediately spotted Troy in the crowd. He was in line with a few other guys. He was talking and laughing with a dark-skinned guy with large curls that seemed to bounce with every move. The guy was carrying a basketball and nothing else. Not even books.

"Who is that?" she asked.

Taylor followed her line of sight. "That's Chad Danforth, Troy's best friend."

Gabriella watched as Chad met Taylor's gaze. They both looked away, almost in embarrassment. Taylor's cheeks had color in them as she focused heavily on a string hanging from her shirt.

"You know him?"

She shook her head with a scoff. "No way. He's a buffoon. All he cares about his basketball and food."

Gabriella couldn't help but smirk. "All you had to do was say no."

She looked back up at the line and watched as Troy carried a drink, a bag of chips and a wrapped up sandwich in his hands. Instead of heading for the table with the jocks, he avoided any table and exited the cafeteria. Gabriella furrowed her brows.

Where was he going?

Gabriella shook her head of the thought. She didn't care. Troy Bolton was a somebody and she was determined to be a nobody.