Chapter One

-Nathan's Pov

"Spencer, lock up when you finish for the day, I'm heading out". I speak while stepping out of my building, car keys in one hand and phone held tightly in the other

"Yes sir, see you tomorrow" Spencer, my personal assistant replies, head down as he works. I simply make a
"mhmm"sound as i continue walking briskly away from my business. Today was a long day, phone call after phone call and paper work after paper work. Not once did i catch a break to relax or grab a bite to eat. I was starving and exhausted, however i suppose that's what I earned when i got a job as Mr. Steele's assistant at an engineering company. Its not what I aspired to be when I was growing up, but it got the bills payed. And then some.

Walking towards my car I yanked the door open and sat down with a deep sigh, plugging in my keys. However my relief was short lived when the car refused to turn on and the 'empty' gas icon blinked, taunting me.

"Fuck me!" I yelled, frustration becoming my supposed best friend. My hands slammed angrily on the steering wheel and my lips pursed tightly together to contain any more outbursts in the quiet parking lot. What the hell was i gonna do now? I could ask Spencer for a ride, but I don't wanna appear weak asking my own assistant for a ride. He'd never let it down. I would call a cab but then there's the risk of getting a physco driver and dying. I've heard horror stories about that bussiness that left me scarred...

"I guess im walking then" I grumbled in anger, ripping the keys out of the ignition and slamming the door shut after I climbed out. After a long ass day I wasn't in the mood to walk all the way home. It was a good hour walk, adding the fact that it was already ten and pitch black out, it's simple to say that i was not happy with this situation.

With a sigh of exasperation I began my treck, making a mental note to call the towing company in order to pick up my car. I'm just glad that I own three others. My hands dig in my pocket for a piece of gum as I stride home quickly, although I was calm and collected in the dark walk home, I much preferred being out in the sunlight, where i could clearly see everything and everyone. But I suppose you deal with the hand you're given. I chew on my gum as I pass by a Chinese food place, stopping in my tracks as my stomach grumbles, signifying my hunger that I had completely forgotten about in my haste to get home. Might as well kill two birds with one stone I guess.

Stepping inside, the scent of Asian food fills my lungs and my mouth salivates. God im starving. I quickly give the workers my order and sit down, checking my phone for any short cuts to hopefully get home sooner. I don't feel like being out more than i have to. I need a good amount of rest since i have to be back at work around six. So if I'm home around eleven, eat in about half an hour and get in bed by twelve I'll be left with possibly five hours to sleep. I suppose that'll do.

The employees hand me my food in a rush, and after paying them i stalk out, walking at a comfortable pace while still checking for a simpler, faster route. After a minute of searching I found a shortcut that began around ten minutes away. It led through a park area and an alleyway before making a bee line straight to my house. Well that's convienent. Immediately I began a light jog, keeping a slower pace so i wouldn't exert myself, and eventually I found the small park, littered with trash and shit. How charming. I shook my head at the mess and stalked through the middle of the park, glancing occasionally at the floor so i didn't step on any unwanted feces. This place would be nice if all this garbage wasn't covering every single piece of land. Then again, it's the same situation with this entire world. With a sigh I exited the pitiful park, taking a sharp right to find myself in front of the alleyway. Damn this place Is creepy. I cant even see the middle of it, needless to say it's impossible to see the end. I should just go around... But fuck that would take me so long. Staring at the alley I take a deep breath. Don't be a little bitch Nathan. With stern eyes I begin walking forward, however the first step I take a loud crash occurs. What the hell was that? I took another step up.

"Hello?" I spoke as I carefully stepped within the dimly lit alleyway. Although I could barely see anything, I could definitely hear something.... Possibly someone. The area got generously quieter, and no one said anything back. I began walking further towards the spotlight of the alleyway, when suddenly a soft, feminine voice spoke out,

"H-hi".

My eyes widened significantly at the fact that there was a woman by herself, here, at this time at night. She must be terrified.

"Hey miss... Are you lost or something? I could help you out" using a non-threatening, soothing voice I slowly began moving towards the light, where I thought I heard her voice come from. Listening closely I heard a tiny bit of shuffling, and right when I moved into the light, so did she.

And God damn was I in shock.

The tiniest girl I have ever seen stood right in front of me, dirt smeared on her flushed, pale cheeks, her dark brown shoulder length hair was tangled and messy, and her eyes were the lightest shade of brown, with glimmering green flecks dusted beautifully. She was gorgeous. But so battered.

"Ma'am are you okay? Do you need any help?" I spoke gently, she look absolutely petrified. What happened to her? She didn't seem to be injured anywhere, which was good. The girl didn't say anything, just shook her head. Did that mean she wasnt okay? Or that she didnt need any help?

"What's your name? Are you heading somewhere? Do you want me to walk you there?" The girl only shook her head again. No.

"Miss im going to need you to talk to me so i can help you. Can you tell me your name?" Her body began to physically tremble and i instantly became alarmed.

"Hey Hey calm down ok-"

"G-g-Gwen" I looked into her eyes and nodded

"Okay Gwen, can you tell me where you're headed?" I questioned. She rubbed her arm shyly and shook her head once again

"N-no where" she muttered. So that means...

"You're homeless?" I asked gently, stepping half an inch closer to her to get a better look at her face. If the dirt and grime wasn't caked upon it, I could call her flawless. The rags she calls clothes were torn and were in desperate need of a wash, and her shoes had holes the size of craters. This girl wasn't loved. Her eyes said it all. There was hopelessness and loss of life written all within them. She wanted help, even if she couldnt say it straight.

To my question she lost eye contact with me and nodded. My heart aches for her. Without my minds consent my hand slowly raised upwards and cautiously landed on her shoulder, causing her to flinch, however not say a word,

"Would you like to come home with me?" My heart pounded in my chest as my brain raced with a million thoughts per second. What the fuck was i doing? Inviting a complete stranger into my home to do what? Take care of them? Hell I can't even take care of myself, Thats why I have maids! I'm at work practically twenty four seven, i won't even be there to look after her and make sure she doesn't steal anything.

However one glance at her worryful, hazel eyes, and I knew i was done for. She was lost in her life, and needed someone to boost her back in the right track. She was in desperate need of some love and care, and I felt the need to be the person to provide that for her. Even if I didn't even know her.

Gwen sluggishly tilted her head upwards to look me in the eyes, staring for a few seconds, however it felt more like hours, before shaking her head. Again.

"I-I c-couldn't as-"

"Dont worry. Its just until you get back on your feet. I dont mind I promise" Gwen gazed into my eyes for a bit longer before nodding slowly. I smiled lightly before extending my hand out for her to shake

"Great. Now my name is Nathan. Its a pleasure to meet you"

..........

New story, what do you guys think so far? Its been a long while since I've written anything. I sorta gave up the hobby since i lost a lot of inspo. But let's see if i can stick with this story. I promise it'll get good.

Leave a comment and tell me how i did or what you guys wanna see in this story, and don't forget to vote also! Always means a lot to me :)

Love, LostMusicAddict