When we passed by the classroom Ryder was in, he was just coming out, and he stood at the doorway confused. But I had to ignore him and keep singing to John.

Julie: Ignorance is your new best friend. Ignorance is your new best friend. Ignorance is your new best friend. Ignorance is your new best friend!

I finished the song there in the hallway, where John had chosen to stop as he realized I wouldn't stop until I was done. Once the music ended and the band dismissed itself, I caught my breath and waited for John to respond.

"Fine," he said. "You win, Julie. We're no longer friends."

And then he walked away. That's not at all what I wanted. But if that's what was going to come out of it, then so be it. Our friendship was evidently over.

***

I avoided all of the glee kids for the rest of the day, especially Ryder and Kitty, who were pretty disappointed in how I'd handled the situation. Bree told me I'd done the right thing and that John was a jerk for the way he treated me, while the rest of them just kept their opinions to themselves for once. And I didn't have to face any of it until the next day after school, when Mr. Schue called us into the auditorium for a quick, final, and pretty inconvenient meeting.

"Sorry for not being with you guys this week," he said. "As you all know, Emma is pregnant and she had a fall at home, so I've been going to check on her at home and taking her to the doctor and it's just been a crazy week. Anyway, I trust you guys made your friendships stronger this week?"

Nobody answered him.

"I have one final task for you," Mr. Schue went on. "I've brought you here so that you can really tell the story of what it means to have a strong friendship. Just, anybody pick a song, share it out, and let us leave the week off strong. So whoever thinks they've got it, please sing a song."

Nobody answered again. But then John cleared his throat and pulled out sheets from his backpack. "This is a song by the Cheetah Girls," he said.

"Seriously?" Jake responded. John glared at him. Those two didn't get along very well. It was like a silent contest to see who cares less.

"Yeah, seriously," he told him. "And you're going to sing it with me." He handed him one of the packets of sheet music. He gave the other two packets to Marley and me.

"What's this for?" asked Marley.

"I'll be Galleria," said John. "Jake, you'll be Dorinda. Marley will be Aqua. And Julie... You'll be Chanel. It's in rounds so try not to get confused as we sing over each other and basically repeat everything." I looked down at what he'd handed me, which read IT'S OVER at the top. I looked up at him as Mr. Schue urged us to go for it.

Marley took a seat on the piano and played what was indicated in front of her as John began singing.

John: Four voices perfectly blending... right from the start. Oh, I'm afraid that's ending and my world is fallin' apart...

He picked up his guitar from the ground and Kitty held the sheet music up for him as he strummed.

John: It's over. And I feel so alone. This is a sadness I've never known. How did I let the sweetest of dreams slip away?

I looked up, unsure, and made eye contact with Ryder, who nodded once, encouraging me to go along with it.

John: And I'm afraid the hurt is here to stay.

I took a deep breath as I looked down at my sheet music and sang.

Julie: Promises made not meant to be broken... From a long time ago... Oooh, so many words still unspoken.