09

If someone were to tell me that I'd be in my living room, hair-drying a fox, I'd laugh at them. But look where I am, newspaper scattered over my carpet as a fox sat in the middle, Brennan using a hair-dryer to dry its fur. I watched from the sidelines as she cooed at the animal, treating it as if it was a dog.

"I can't believe I saved a fox, a damn fox," she said to herself out loud, a laugh releasing from her lips. "Gosh, here I was thinking that it was a damn lab or something." She cooed as the creature rolled onto its back, clearly liking the attention.

"Where did you disappear off to?" I asked, finally able to ask the question that's been bothering me despite my attempts of pushing it back. She noticeably tensed at the sudden question, the loud noise of the hair-dryer being the only source of sound for a few seconds before she let out an awkward cough.

"I don't think that matters," she muttered, before turning the hair-dryer off and unplugging it. She then handed it back to me, "thanks for helping... I'll see my way out." Before she left, I quickly grabbed her wrist.

"Where did you go off to?" I asked again, but softened my tone, not wanting to come off harsh.

She shook her head, "Gosh dude, you don't have to worry, the business of a girl like me has nothing to do with a guy like you, alright? I'll be taking Rex out now."

The question from before disappeared as I stifled a laugh, "Rex?" I asked. "You named it Rex? Didn't we find out that it's a girl?"

"It's a default name," she exclaimed, "I'll find a better name after he gets her rabies shot."

"Are you sure your parents are okay with you having a fox as a pet?"

She laughed, "I'll tell them it's a mixed breed, they're too busy to speculate things." She then patted my cheek before lifting the fox into her arms, crumpling the newspaper and headed out, sending one final wave before she left.

_____

Brennan had come back to school the next day, but she and I hadn't shared a word until the class we shared had arrived. Unfortunately, Jack was also in that class and made sure to keep Brennan occupied so neither of us would communicate. I'm not sure what their history is, but by how hostile he acted towards me definitely proved it was something.

But I don't think they were in a relationship before, it didn't come off like an 'I'm her ex, but I still care for her' type of hostile, more like a brotherly warning—very rude brotherly warning.

I didn't mind though, it wasn't like Brennan and I were incredibly close that we need to talk every second. What happened that weekend was simply that, it wasn't like I expected us to be the best of friends and make each other friendship bracelets.

Thinking back now, I feel that Corbyn was right. Despite my moment of adrenaline, if she hadn't dragged me that place, I wouldn't have gotten in close trouble with the cops and if the cops weren't slow, then I'd probably be grounded until I'm thirty for being arrested for vandalism.

She's nothing but trouble, my subconscious reminded me. I glanced at her one last time, noticing that she was already looking in my direction, to which she responded with a smile, causing Jack to look over at me, his eyes set in glares. Unfortunately, Brennan was on his other side so she couldn't see that he was glaring at me, but all I could do was look away and hope the day ends quickly.

Granted, it did and I was on my way home. Earphones in my ear, I took my time with the walk since it was a warm afternoon, instead of the usual cold autumn weather Portland seemed to have. A car pulled up slowly beside me, and I glanced at it, noticing the familiar frame. "Daniel! Get in!" Brennan called out.

"No, thank you," I told her.

"Please!" Ignoring her, I continued walking but quicker and finally arrived in front of my house. "Wait!" I stopped in the middle of my driveway, hearing a door shut behind me.

"Look Brennan, you're a cool girl and all, but your friend, Jack, was persistent on having me not associate with you," I explained to her, "and I think he's right, you're different from me and if we weren't lucky that time, I would've gotten in trouble with not only the police, but with my mom too, and that can't happen, alright?"

"But—"

"It was fun and all, but please, can we go back to being strangers?"

"No, we can't, I need you to—" she caught herself, her eyes widening as if she was about to say something she shouldn't have. I waited for her to continue, but she sighed instead, "Fine, whatever."

Before she left, I grabbed her wrist, "But, we can still be friends, right?"

"Maybe," she answered with wry smile.