Chapter Thirty-One

I crane my head to see what’s inside. An empty miniscule room, one pace wide and long, waits behind the door. It’s made completely of the seamless steel, the walls, the floor, the ceiling. There isn’t even a light inside.

Piper says, “Well…that’s not as exciting as I expected.”

Brinn asks, “What’s the point of this?”

Canton shrugs, “Maybe it’s like a private storage area. Once your fingerprint is programmed, you would have complete privacy for something in here. I guess if you had something to hide…”

Piper puts her finger on the scanner again and the door closes. Canton presses the button on the scanner to turn it off.

I press my lips together, “That was pretty pointless.”

Canton nods, “Here I was thinking we were going to discover something incredible…”

Brinn finishes, “And it’s just a small room.”

Piper points out, “I guess if we ever need a place to hide…”

Bridget scoffs, “We wouldn’t all fit in there.”

Piper rolls her eyes, “I know that, but there’s one of these rooms in each of the buildings.”

I say, “Do you think it’s the same thing in all the buildings?”

Canton shrugs, “There’s only one way to find out, but we are going to need to do it privately. We don’t want any of the village leaders seeing us.”

“Why not?” Brinn asks.

Canton continues, “I don’t know, I think it would be in our advantage to keep this hidden from them. If they don’t know it exists that would give us an incredible advantage.”

I add, “If we steal something or need to hide something, this would be the perfect place.”

“Does anyone know how to program it?” Piper asks.

We all shake our heads slowly. Learning how to program a fingerprint scanner is not something you learn in the Complex.

Brinn says, “We’ll just have to hope that they don’t know how to open the door. They did say they didn’t know what the scanner is for.”

Piper gets a mischievous smile on her face, “I guess we are going to need to steal something then to have something to hide.”

Canton agrees, “Yeah, but we shouldn’t steal too much, we don’t want them to notice. We should only take what we need for survival.”

“Speaking of survival, Dana had an idea,” Piper explains to Canton and Bridget my fear that we may be forced out of the village and into the wild without any help or supplies.

Once Piper finishes, Canton nods grimly, “It makes sense. We need to be prepared. If we are fed, we shouldn’t eat all our food, but save it up.”

Brinn adds, “We should say we need more supplies than we actually do, so that we’ll have extra supplies.”

Canton says, “We also definitely need some type of weapon if we are forced out of the village.”

“How are we going to get those, though?” Bridget asks.

Canton shrugs, “We’ll figure something out. We’ll have to wait and see how heavily watched the village is. I don’t know how easily we can sneak around.”

Brinn adds, “It’s a good thing Piper knows the codes, too. That way we can actually get into the buildings.”

Bridget scoffs, “Canton and I both know them too. It’s not that impressive.”