Chapter Two

Derek moves closer, “Can she walk and be detached from the medical equipment?”

 “She should be fine.”

 “Thank you. Detach her and bring her to an IR.”

“Yes, si-Derek.”

I can hear the door slide open, and the clomping of footsteps.

A face looms in front of my vision. It’s a male Official, short dark brown hair spiked over his head. His green eyes scan my face as he cuts the straps holding me down.  I sit up immediately, stretching out my shoulders and neck.

The Official addresses me, “You can get up and follow me.”

I slide off the bed and stumble on to the floor.  The blood rushes to my head, causing my vision to momentarily darken.  I blink rapidly, trying to hold myself up on the side of the cot I was lying on.

The Official soundlessly walks out of the room. I follow, wobbling slightly.  What time is it? How long have I been asleep or unconscious?

I stumble after the Official down a deserted hallway.

Derek’s words pound in my head. He told the Official to bring me to the IR. Is that where they will kill me? Is that where I will meet Ellen or Derek? Do they plan on doing experiments on my first, or will they kill me right away?

Where are Brinn and Piper? If they did escape, where did they escape to? How can you escape the Heads and the Officials inside their own Complex?

Should I try to escape now? The Official is walking ahead of me. He isn’t even paying attention to where I am. How long would it take for the Official to realize that I wasn’t following? I don’t care if I get caught right away. I just want to delay my death.

I spin on my heel and sprint away, keeping my steps soundless.

My legs ache after only seconds and my vision spins. The green’s effects havne’t completely warn off yet.

I force myself to keep running, even though every breath comes out raspy.

The Official mutters, “Seriously?”

Even though I don’t look back, I can hear his heavy footsteps behind me. He easily catches up to me. By the time he reaches me, I’ve slowed to a stumbling trot. My blackens and I struggle to pull in breaths.

The Official grabs my arm. I don’t have the energy to resist. The Official squints at me, concerned, as I sway back and forth.

He sighs and slips his arms under my legs. He carries me, one arm under my back and the other under my knees.  I lay still, too terrified and weak to move.

An Official carries me to my death.

The thought gives me back some of my strength. The spots in front of my eyes clear. I don’t care if I don’t escape. I just don’t want to go to my death willingly. I want to be able to look back and know that at least I tried.

I twist my body within the Official’s hands.  He wasn’t expecting the sudden movement, and I slip out of hands. I land on my arms with a yelp. I quickly scramble away, futilely trying to put a little distance between the Official and I.

I haven’t made it five steps when the Official grabs my arm.  An amused smile curls up the edges of his lips. It makes me sick, the fact that he finds my pathetic attempts of escaping funny. 

I spit in his face. He reels back surprised, and his grip on my arm loosens. I once again rush away, each breath racking my body.

The Official comes after me again. He grabs both my wrists and I collapse.