Chapter 3

BSL- British Sign Language

English

Korean.

The education system here is very different to back home. Rather than the students having to travel to different parts of the school- classrooms and lockers- they stay in one room with their own lockers and assigned desks, and the teachers come to each of the rooms.  Scores to exams are also posted publicly on a board, and students are ranked best to worst. I don't know how I feel about this honestly. I guess it drives everyone to work harder in fear of being embarrassed, but if you are the worst, it can't make you feel very good.

Sungjin runs through my day and the differences in schedules. The classes are hardcore, and the day is long but it seems breaks are regularly provided between classes, rather than what I'm used to. Although I guess where I would have to walk to a different class they don't in Korea. 

I insisted that Sungjin walk to school with me rather than take the car. We had to leave earlier than planned and when asked why I told him that I wanted to take in the environment. He offered to take me to the office today which I accepted cautiously. What would I prefer? Look like a newbie with a chaperone, or just wander around aimlessly, be late and still look like a newbie? 

I feel slightly incompetent as he speaks to my new homeroom teacher with ease, myself only nodding and smiling. She's a slightly older woman who has greying hair and informs me that the faculty have been alerted to my means of communication in a morning meeting, but if anyone forgets, just tell them how I would generally back home.  She is very conveniently the English teacher- I guess the school smartly thought putting me in the homeroom of an English teacher was a  good idea- and tells me to wait a moment here.She walks away to get some of my papers and books and such. Sungjin turns to me smiling. "I'm going to go, so have a good day Miss Val." 

I raise an eyebrow at him.

"Val" he corrects, smiling.

He turns to go, but I tap on his shoulder and he turns back around. 

"Thank you."

He reads my lips as I sign and mouth the words and smiles again, then tells me what it is in Korean. 

I stand awkwardly as my homeroom teacher engages conversation with some other teacher.  Then a girl taps me on the shoulder. She says something to me in Korean and I just blink. I have no clue what she just said. I don't do anything but stare back at her. Her hair a dark dark brown bulled into a neat bun on the top of her head. Her skin is clear and eyes bright but wears a confused expression. 

The Homeroom teacher comes back smiling before anything else can be said, handing me a stack of papers and books to take which I nod thanks for and quickly shove in my rucksack.  She and the girl exchange words in Korean and I'm still feeling awkward. 

"It's time for homeroom. This is Dae she's class president."

The girl smiles, then says something to the teacher who shakes her head. I assume it's something about my lack of speech or if I speak Korean. 

I decide now is as good a time as any to load up that App my dad was telling me about, and quickly start it up as we walk through the halls towards my first Class and a new school in a new country with new people.

I can't wait.