Chapter 2

Bold is BSL- British Sign Language

I can't say I was thrilled when I saw my dad for the first time when I arrived, although I was honestly in a state of shock at the houses Sungjin had pulled into the road of. Do I really call it a drive? It quite honestly looked like the runway I'd just landed on an hour or two before. Large oak trees line the edges, and detached houses stand proud one next to the other. We travel a fair bit down until we get to our destination. It was far bigger than our old one and frankly resembled a fancy mansion an a modest country house's secret love child. It was ornate on the outside with carved stone stairs and a black swirling railing leading to a large brown door. As we entered, I can't say a lot about it. It was bare of any family touches, plain in that sense, but it had the necessities. Dark mahogany tables and chairs and wooden floors with rugs. A mirror in the hallway reflected back my dishevelled face from flying and stress. Oh god, I do a double take. When did those get there? I rub my forehead. I often breakout when stressed and my pale skin does me no favours to make them any less obvious. I make a mental note to myself to buy a better concealer. Dad is in his new office, appearing to be already at work, talking on the phone to someone- In Korean.

Sungjin coughs and Dad quickly leaves his call. 

"Val!" 

I smile at him and wave slightly.

He embraces me in a massive hug.

"How was your flight?" He asks.

"It was okay. Food was terrible as predicted."

He makes a disgusted face. "Chicken or Beef?"

"They said Chicken but I would have believed you If you had said hedgehog."

He laughs then relays what I said to Sungjin, who also chuckles. "Sungjin is going to be helping us out around here as my personal assistant. I've instructed him to learn BSL right away."

"He doesn't have to do that!" I protest. "Seriously you need all the help you can get I bet it will keep him far too busy."

Sungjin seems to notice my objections. "Don't worry Miss Valerie. You can teach me BSL, I will teach you Korean. We both win" He grins before turning to my father. "Can I get you anything to drink sir?" 

My father grins at Sungjin as if he's a long time buddy. "You read my mind. Coffee, please. Val?"

I shake my head. Just before the assistant leaves, Dad calls out after him. "Sungjin?"

He turns. 

"Leave out the Sirs, call me Robert. And the Miss for that one, you must've seen her head swell just then. We're a very informal family."

I feign hurt and anger, swatting him on the shoulder. Sungjin chuckles and nods, leaving to get coffee.

Dad now turns to me. "Now, I have to call back Adam in a second but I just want to fill you in on what's going to happen. Okay?"

I nod and we sit in two chairs at the coffee table. 

"You're going to start attending school next week okay? We're going to give you an interpreter and before you say anything-" He sees the disdainful look on my face. "-No you will not be having a random guy following you around to class all day." I sigh in relief. "Believe it or not it's very had to find someone who speaks Korean, English and BSL." I laugh at his teasing tone. 

"We'll give you an app on your phone that will translate Korean to English for you right there and then while recording the Korean. These apps aren't perfect so if there is a mistranslation you can go to Sungjin after school and go over it with him. It'll be a case of you reading a lot of the lessons until you pick up how to read an write Korean, then you'll be able to operate like you did back home."

I smile- it sounds easy enough, I'll just be staring at a screen for the whole time. Maybe I should invest in a pair of glasses by the end of the term.  Dad then takes my hand, completely serious. 

"Now, Dr Wilde has referred me to a clinic based in this city. Now, you're to meet him every Friday after school. Wilde also sent your prescription over, so you shouldn't struggle to get your meds. Is that okay?"

I nod.

"You need to go to these Val. Seriously. This move is very sudden I know and considering...What happened..." I can see he's picking his words carefully, bless his heart. 

I cut him off before he can say anything more. 

"Dad. Don't worry I'll go. And I'm getting better I'm telling you. I'm sorry I'm this much trouble."

"Trouble?" He wraps me in his arms once again. "God no you're not trouble! I can't say I understand what you went through and how it has affected you. I'll tell you now no one can. But I understand why you do what you do and how you've become who you are. And that's fine. I'm telling you now I am here for you, okay? I am here and I'm not going anywhere." 

I want to cry at his words and his watery smile. He's always been here for me and is always doing what is best for me. I don't know what I'd do without him. He's amazing my dad. 

"I love you so much, Dad."

"I love you too, Honey."

Sungjin then re-enters the room with coffee. We both break apart and wipe our watery eyes. 

"Ah, Coffee! Thank you very much. Do you mind taking Val's cases up and helping her unpack?"

Sungjin nods and I follow him up to my new room.