Morganville Institute

Nothing ever changes with this place, always the same looking white wall and matching lino (not carpet in case the “patients” can use it a weapon or to cause injury to the “patients”). I mean would it hurt for them to add any colour to the décor but I guess anything like that will cause some kind of problem, they always find something. Even the rooms look the same except for a few extra pieces here and there for certain “patients” needs like wheelchairs and all that.

I pulled myself up from my cot and swivelled around so that I could put my feet on the ground, my room was rather small so there wasn’t much room to move let alone breathe in here. The black scorch marks on the floor stood out like a sore thumb against the painfully bright white of the floor. I sighed as I recalled last night’s dreams, the same one I always have; the one about the battle between the raging of fire and the righteous water. No point in worrying, I thought to myself as I rose from the cot, it replied with a squeak as my weight left the frame. Inspecting my clothes I realised there were large singes in the fabric of my t-shirt and joggers, another pair claimed for the bin. I tore what was left of them from my body and stepped into the en-suite, knowing that I didn’t need to turn on the shower. I breathed slowly, concentrating on condensing the gas particles around me into a thick cloud of water. The cloud gently swerved over my bare skin like a delicate water cocoon.

Once finished, I dried myself with a soft towel and allowed the water to flow down the plug hole. The towel’s colour almost matched that of my pale skin, I smiled at this and proceeded to change into my favourite stretch cotton t-shirt and joggers (I never wore these to bed for fear of them burning or getting damaged). I never wore footwear as it itched my skin and could trigger the “other side” as I called it. I slowly exited from my room, making sure that I closed the door behind me so that I could maybe keep out some of the nosier “patients” here.

In the corridor there were 4 other doors which were rooms very much like mine with the same colour scheme but contained very different people, no-one here was the same except those who could copy others abilities like copycats as I called them. I would’ve continued up the corridor alone if not for the faint click of claws against the floor, a grin spread across my angular face as a smaller figure walked up beside me. Emmie, her name was one I’d never be allowed to forget. She & I were the “patients” who had been in ward 3 the longest as most people came and went from ward 3. Her small feline ears stuck out from the sides of her long golden hair, “How are you on this wonderful new day?” I said with a mocking tone. Her ears twitched as she turned her head to glare at me, the pupils in her eyes had become smaller to give me a hint that she wasn’t in her best of moods. “I am tired, bored and hungry so if you don’t want to lose a limb, you hush and carry me to the canteen,”. I knew the drill and gave in because arguing with her was pointless thanks to her angelic face, she climbed onto my back using my arms to support her I carried her down the corridor to the canteen. She wasn’t much smaller than me, but she had a smaller build which made it easier to carry her and I knew that just because she was small did not mean she wasn’t vicious when she needed to be.

As we neared the canteen, we heard whispers and talk of some new arrivals to the facility which meant more members to our little 20 people group of ward 3 “patients”.

 “Did you hear about the new guy?” “Yeah, I heard he wanted to come here,” “Oh please that has to be a lie,” “No I heard he literally came here and gave himself over to the wardens,” “Why would someone do that?” “What about that girl?” “She looks weird, probably has some rubbish ability like the copycats,” “If she did then why would she be here in ward 3?” “Oh right,”.

 Emmie launched herself off of my back and managed to squeeze her way through the small crowd into the canteen in a few swift movements, leaving me to find my own way through the controlled chaos. I knew it would be pretty much impossible to get through as most of these people had slightly bigger bodies than myself, one guy shoved me back as he swung his arms above his head in an attempt to move forward. I felt my side collide with the floor which sent pain through my body on contact, great now what dumbass? Said an all too familiar voice in my mind.

As I managed to shuffle off the floor carefully, the crowd had dispersed into the hall. I felt a cold shiver urge me towards the doors of the hall like a sixth sense or something. So onwards I moved, being careful to shield my sore side from other “patients”.

I searched for my friend who had abandoned me, but instead my eyes landed on a young guy, he looked about my age and jeez was he good looking. He had soft chocolate brown hair that was gently resting in place, a fringe covered most of his face like my own whereas my hair was a natural midnight black. There was a young girl beside him, I knew her face, and she was a rather annoying character who had a preference to sticking to guys who were either taken or had no interest in her. I knew she had the ability to change her form to suit her own needs but none of that hid her spiteful and cruel nature that lurked underneath. The guy lifted his head to acknowledge to girl beside him. I could barely hear her announce to him, “Hai, I’m Jessica!!”. I turned my head and blushed when he met my gaze. I found Emmie’s location, I saw she was sat beside a scared brunette.

I slowly approached, recognising the familiar look of terror in her eyes as the medication they’d given her was wearing off. Well “medication they’d given her” is more like they drugged her and brought her to facility. Let’s make some friends! The voice chuckled in my head.