Chapter 48 { college dayz pt.2 }

DeVante Swing
August 23rd,1990
Manhattan,NY

After watching Nyla pack up her things inside her dorm, I finally understood that this was going to be the last time I will be seeing her. I told Nyla that I would be leaving to go to California but I didn't tell her that my flight was tomorrow morning just to keep her safe.

"You wanna hang out some more before you leave?" Nyla asks me as she fix the comforters on her bed.

"I can't." I say fiddling with my fingers trying to avoid eye contact with her.

"Why not?" She asks and I sigh.

"There's not enough time." I say and she kisses her teeth.

"Shut up, its not like you're leaving tomorrow or anything. We can catch up this whole week." She says and I don't say anything but stare at her.

"You're leaving tomorrow... aren't you." She says leaning against her dresser and I slowly nod.

"Great." She says as she throws her hands in the air and grabs her water bottle and drinks from it.

"Look I'm sorry I didn't make you be prepared for this." I say looking up at her and she just laughs.

"You should've gave me a heads up. I was planning on spending the rest of my life with you but you have to leave and handle your life so what's the fucking point." She says and I can hear the frustration and anger in her voice. I slowly shake my head.

"This won't be the end of us." I say and she just lightly chuckles.

"Yes it is. You're gonna go to California... find another girl that's pretty and fuck her like you fucked me." She says and I kinda chuckle at her assumptions.

"Listen, I might find a million other girls that are pretty and smart. But none of them would match up to you. You're unique." I say and I notice her roll her eyes.

"You say this now, but in two years you might fuck around and say this at your wedding reception." She says and I sigh.

"Whatever." I say giving up.

"When is your flight leaving?" She asks me and I lick my lips.

"8am." I say and she nods slowly.

"Okay... I'll be there. Just so I can see your ugly ass one last time." She says and I laugh. During my laughter I realized that I wasn't gonna hear her smart ass mouth and I wasn't going to see her smile anymore. This is horrible.

"I'm gonna miss you." I say and she looks up at me.

"I'm gonna miss you more." She says walking up to me and I pull her into a hug. I smell her perfume and I take in her scent.

"Look at my little girl... all grown up and shit." Nyla's dad says and I stand there in shock at his profanity.

"Dad watch your mouth." Nyla says rolling her eyes and walking over to her dad who is currently standing in the doorway.

"My bad." Her dad says and he hugs his daughter. I observe their interaction and I fall in love with their bond. I always wanted a close relationship with my father but he never took the time to do that.

"I love you. I'm gonna miss your annoying self." Nyla says while still in the clutch of her father.

"I love you too babygirl." Her dad says and I just sit there like 'are y'all done yet'?

I then start to fake cough and her dad starts to laugh.

"I guess DeVante wants to be apart of the hug, come here son." He dad says signaling me to come over to him and I do what I was told. I was in the middle of their hug and someone farted.

"Ewwww you nasty dad." Nyla says pulling away from the hug and her dad chuckles.

"My bad, old age." Her dad says and I stare at him in disgust.

"Despicable." I say and her dad laughs.

"We should get going DeVante, Nyla needs to adjust to her new environment. I'll drop you home." Her dad says and I nod.

"See you at 8 am De." Nyla says planting a kiss on my cheek and walking over to her bed.

"Later call me tonight." I say leaving the room with her dad. Tomorrow is the day everything changes.