"Don't Panic!"

Meredith's POV

"Momma?" Zola asks as she snuggles closely into my chest as she sits on my lap in the chair next to Rhea's bed.
"Why is Rhea at your work in a cot and why are you and Daddy sad?" she asks curiously.
"Rhea isn't feeling very well so we are just waiting for Dr Bailey to check her over" I try to explain, hiding the truth so Zola doesn't panic.
"Okay" she replies sadly as she snuggles further into my chest and closes her eyes.

The constant, in time beeps from the heart monitor give me a slight peace of mind, telling me that my smallest and most fragile daughter is alright, for now but that could all change in seconds.
Before I can head down the road of self guilt and blame, Derek walks back into the room quietly as he notices Zola who has fallen asleep on my lap.

"Has Bailey been by yet?" he asks as he crouches down next to the chair, leaning on its arm.
"No not yet, Bailey is busy supervising the new interns so it could take her a few minutes before she is free and can come up to see us" I explain and he rests his head on my shoulder.
"She's going to be okay, she is strong, she is a fighter. She had proven that to us not an hour after she was born" he whispers into my ear.
"That's why I am worried. She was born with a lower birth weight then the other 3 and from the minute we have found out about her on that scan, she has been fighting for her life. What if this is her last straw? What if this is too much for her and her small body can't cope?" I ask sadly as a lonely tears slides down my cheek, leaving a red stain behind.
"Meredith she will be fine, Bailey and Arizona and Karev will take great care of her and before we know it, she will be back home and everything will be good again. Yes, she has fought her whole life but what if that has made her stronger not weaker? It would mean she takes after you. You have drowned, had your hand inside a man with an explosive in his body, a plane crash but after all that, this has made you stronger. Maybe it will do the same to our daughter?" Derek says proudly as he holds my free hand and looks me dead in the eyes.
"Okay" I smile back.
"Okay" He replies with his well known smile.

What would I do without him?