The Panic Kicks In

Derek's POV

"Come on Riley, just let Daddy put you in the pram so we can go find Mommy and Rhea" I beg as I kneel in front of Riley who is sat on the concrete path in a sulk.
"No!" she screams as she stands up and quickly runs to the other side of the van.
"Riley Elizabeth Grey Shepherd! Stop running away now and let Daddy put you in the pram now otherwise you are in huge trouble with Mommy and with Daddy! Do you want to be in trouble?" I say angrily as I move the pram onto the path and I follow Riley to the other side of the van.
"No" she huffs.
"Come to Daddy then," I say calmer as I walk towards her.
"No!" she screams.
"Right, that's it" I yell as I grab her, kicking and screaming in my arms.
I hold her down with one hand and buckle her in into the pram with the other.
"Rhea could be very sick and Mommy is by herself, freaking out upstairs and needs Daddy so you are going to have to calm down now," I say sternly before I stand back up and push the pram with Zola holding onto the handle and I guide it through the doorway and up towards Pediatrics.

By the time we have arrived upstairs Riley had calmed down which makes my Panic reduce but that panic doubles again the moment I see Meredith's face.
Shock coats every inch of her face as stray tears trickle down her cheeks. She is sat on the pure white, single bed in the middle of the white-walled room alone. No Rhea anywhere that I can see.
I park the buggy in the corner of the room before running up to Meredith.

"Meredith, what is it?" I ask as I place my hand on the small of her back.
"I don't know" she cries as she leans into my embrace.
"Well I do know but... I don't want it to be true..." she cries.
"What? What did they say?" I ask curiously as I rub my hands in circles on her back.
"She has vomited twice since we arrived and Alex says her stomach is tender and she has extreme stomach pains on her right side," Meredith says as her cries become louder.
"Appendicitis," I say worriedly as I wrap my arms tighter around Meredith.
"Alex said he needed to take a CAT Scan before he can say she does but that was the likely option," Meredith says sadly.