I started to walk away but he held me back.

“One more thing.” His jaw tensed and he looked at my chest yet again. “Give me that necklace.”

It was a mumble but it was loud enough for me to hear. “What? Why?”

“Where did you find that?” he resumed, ignoring me.

I couldn’t answer him, though. What would I say? Senious gave it to me by Harroway Woods when I met up to tell him that the deal we made for escape was over?

“I just… saw it lying around, that’s all. What would you know about it?” I pulled away from his grip and hoping that this necklace wasn’t in any way related to Senious.

He was taken aback but cleared his throat and looked away. “It’s… mine.”

My eyes widened. “Yours?” How could this beautiful and feminine necklace belong to him?

“I thought I dropped it in Harroway Woods.” He said, and my heart stopped for a moment. His eyes narrowed at me, but he seemed uncomfortable. “How’d you get it?”

“I told you! I saw it lying around. Not in Harroway Woods, of course.” I lied, but I knew he could see right through me.

To cease any more further questions, I reached for the latch and dropped the necklace into his palm, still not believing how it could be his.

“I’m sorry.” I apologized. “It really is beautiful.”

“I know.” He stated, and shoved it in his pocket before eyeing me one more time. If I didn’t know any better, I would’ve sworn I saw a slight blush cover his cheeks. “I’ll let it slide for now bu-”

A siren-like noise interrupted him and filled the air, followed by a voice recording.

“Case 19! Lead all students into the chambers!  The gates have been opened!”

“What?!” Chayn outbursted and glared at me. “What did you do?!”

“I-I didn’t do anything!” I held my hands up in defense. What did I do?

Panic ran through me, and I was starting to get used to this feeling. I had no idea what was going on as Chayn tugged my hand and knocked on every door as we ran throughout Campus A. Several Nephilim followed us to an area underground where Chayn and several other people forced us into what I assumed were the ‘chambers.’

“Wait!” I said as people pushed past me, but no one listened and the metal doors closed before I was able to continue.

My breathing turned heavy and I looked around for Kaiti, until I realised that she was in town searching for Alerion. I just knew the bad feeling I had earlier meant something.

“I didn’t know he’d do something like this!” I heard somebody say, and made my way in their direction.

“It’s all a matter of being badly influenced.” Another pitched in.

Their voices led me to a group of Nephilim standing in a small circle.

I held a random female by the shoulders, still bewildered. “What’s going on?!”

She narrowed her eyes at me and pushed off. “You of all people should know.”

The rest of the group glared as well.

“It’s because of you Alerion helped him anyway.” A random voice added. “It’s happening all over again!”

“Can somebody explain this to me, please?” Sweat formed in my palms, the room was starting to get hot.

“Alerion helped Senious open the gates!” I heard and soon after felt a strong force against my face.

I was in shock, not knowing if it was because of the statement, or the fact that I’d just been slapped.

The iron doors opened once again and a group of Nephilim came tumbling into the room but the door was shut again, before I was able to even reach it. A female Nephal sat to the corner of the room and sobbed, her friends gathered around her.

“H-He’s…”

My head whipped in her direction. “What happened?”

“Rey! He-He tried to help me and-” The young girl broke down in tears.

“He’s going to be alright, Tenice.” Her friend hugged her tightly. “Don’t worry.”

Another Nephal’s glance turned to me. “You.

“Me?” I backed away and rested a hand on my chest.

“Are you crazy?!” she yelled out.

The rest of the group had settled down and were all looking in my direction.

“She’s the one who helped him?” I heard someone gasp.

Tenice looked up at me with accusing eyes. “You killed Rey?!”

I shook my head violently. The girl who called me crazy spoke again. Her dark hair was set into a pixie cut and her ear held multiple piercings.

“Don’t you learn?” she glared. “Look at what you did.”

“Azalea, calm down.” Her friend ordered.

“No!” she cried out. “You don’t belong here! You’ve ruined it for the rest of us who actually appreciate being something more than just an ordinary human!”

The iron door re-opened yet again and three more Nephilim poured in. I hoped that Kaiti was one of them, but I was wrong. She was still missing. Amongst the group was a very injured male. Tenice sprung to her feet to scan the group.

“Rey!” she cried out as she pushed aside the people in her way and embraced him with a big bear hug.

He coughed and leaned over. “The monsters are all escaping from Harroway Woods. It’s hell out there! The bracelets are malfunctioning, too, so Mrs. Beccam couldn’t control them.”

…Or pay. The words echoed in my head and I felt worse than ever now. It was chaos.

Chayn had tried to keep me from making this happen again, but he failed. My knees collapsed under me and for the first time in my life, I wished I never tried to escape. My once confident attitude was now filled with self-blame.

It was all because of me…