2 Putting Up With This Partner

*Dedicated to Musiq4lyf for being a dedicated reader and commenter :) x Thanks a lot! 

፠CHAPTER TWO፠

I sat there quietly on the single bed located at the center of my dorm, fidgeting with the metal gadget clasped around my wrist. It was as if this whole place wasn’t enough of a jail for me already. This was ten times worse than the groundings I used to get back home. The door handle jiggled and Kaiti stepped in. Her dorm was located right across from mine, and she would always come over as she pleased. She was the first friend I’d made here, and I was thankful for that. She’d helped me around many times before that I still owe her for. Without her, I would’ve been more lost than I already was. Our dorms were on the last floor, which meant we were third-class. It also meant that you’d be locking your dorm rooms at your own risk of getting trapped inside. Kaiti has had the option of moving up to the second floor countless times, but she’d denied the choice every time. She said that she’d already gotten so accustomed –and comfortable- to her current dorm. I wish I had that choice. At least I’d have a much more suitable dorm. She wriggled an index finger and shut the door behind her. I slipped my wrist behind my back and tried my best not to make it noticeable.

“Well, I never thought I’d see the day.” She shook her head in false disappointment.

“What do you mean?” She couldn’t possibly know what had happened at such an early hour of the day.

“Nyala, you of all people should realize how fast news spread around the campus!” Kaiti grabbed my wrist from its hidden spot and eyed the band over it. “Harroway Woods? Really?”

I pulled away from her grasp and hung my head, speechless.

“I won’t ask why because I know you did it for an escape. But to choose such a dangerous path?” Great. I had earned myself yet another speech.

“In my defence, it is said that there’s an easy path out of here at the end of the woods.”

“That’s a legend!” She slapped her forehead dramatically. “And even if it wasn’t, you’d be dead before you even got the chance to see the gate in view.”

I sighed and rested my chin on my hand. Wasn’t it at least worth a try? At first, I thought so, but now I wasn’t so sure.

“Why try escape anyway?” she tapped her chin in thought. “You know, you could just try to convince the head to lead you out the secret path beneath Campus C.”

My eyes lit up and I shot out of the bed. Kaiti had gotten my attention at that one.

“Hey, I know that look!” she held her hands up in front of her. “Don’t take it seriously. I was joking! That would never happen, Nyala! Don’t even think about it.”

“I wasn’t. You did. And now I am.”

“Maybe you could just give this place another try? You’ve only been here a year anyway.”

I shook my head and bit my bottom lip. “That’s easy for you to say. You’ve been here since when? Five years old?”

“That isn’t the point…” her voice turned soft. “But hey, I’ve got to give you some credit.” She leaned into the mirror hanging over my dresser and checked herself out. “That was a brave stunt. And you got a chance to walk around with one of the guards, am I right?”

“Yeah, but what does that have to do with anything?”

With a roll of her eyes, she turned back to me and shook her head. “Where have you been? A year isn’t that short, you know. There are only five official guards of Calambria and they are totally out of anyone’s league. I’ve heard that it’s because of the fact that they all have that one love since they’ve fallen. So which one was it?”