16 Hidden Room

A.N: Uhm what? I'm still alive? Yeah ._. Oh gosh why is this chapter so horrible ;-; I'll do better I promise.

፠CHAPTER SIXTEEN፠

He took a step toward me, that evil thing.

“So we meet again.” He grinned.

“Wha- What are you doing?!” I bellowed, my temper rising with every word.

His eyes turned to slits as he frowned. “This is your last chance, Nyala. You’re either with me, or against me. Which one is it?”

The gravel beneath his shoes crunched with every step. “Remember now, choose wisely.”

“I wanted an escape, not for you to destroy the whole of Calambria!”

His next motion made me regret having to yell at him. I winced when the poor bones in my fingers crunched under his heel. Senious bent down and drove his heel further into my hand.

“Do you not understand? In order to escape, Calambria must be destroyed. If you simply run off into the human world, they’ll track you down, and lock you up. This place is a jail. But I thought you knew that already…” he trailed off and let my hand go.

My eye sight turned blurry as I brought my stinging red hand to my chest. The pain throbbed endlessly.

“I’m waiting…” he snickered, and several dogs appeared beside him.

I shook off the tears and he knelt down in front of me. Without hesitating, and definitely without thinking, I threw a handful of dust in his eyes.

“No!” I yelled out through bared teeth, and started making a run for it.

He backed away, holding his face with his hands.

“Kill her!” was the first thing I heard.

The next, was a whole pack of barking dogs chasing after me.

My mind raced as I ran across the field. Where was I going? I had no idea. The barking noises gaining on me kept me from thinking straight. I passed by a Campus C building, and turned the corner swiftly, only to be pulled back. Frightened, I let out a scream, but a hand covered my mouth not too long after. The person closed the door, and the barks of several dogs zoomed away on the other side of the door. Still breathing heavily, I let my eyes adjust to the darkness before I was able to tell who had just saved me.

“Chayn!” It was the first time, I could say, that I was really happy to see him.

Without thinking, I was about to give him a hug but he pushed me back roughly and backed away. “What the hell are you doing?!”

“Jeez, I was just going to thank you for saving my life! No need to get all moody.” No matter what situation we’d be in, Chayn seemed to always be a jerk.

“Not that.” He stated. “The fact that you’re running around out there instead of staying in the chambers where you should be! You know how risky that is?!”

I backed away into a corner. Of course I knew how risky it was. What idiot wouldn’t? But I needed to know what happened to Kaiti.

“You have to go after Senious. He was just there in the field. You have to get him before he gets into the building, Chayn.”

“Think I know don’t know that, Captain Obvious?” he grunted. “How about I stick to what I have to do, and you do the same.”

He took my shoulder and forced me to sit on a wooden chair. It seemed like we were in a tight closed up and old room, that was no longer being used.

“Can you do me a favour?” he asked.

I folded my arms and looked away. “Do you a favour? Oh, please.”

“Well it wasn’t really a question anyway. I’m telling you to do me this favour.” He continued. “You are to stay right here when I leave got that? Can you not be stubborn this one time and actually listen?”

Before I was able to answer, he was out the door. I suddenly felt so claustrophobic, like the walls were closing in on me. After a long while it seemed, I started to sweat and the silence became too much. Tempted to leave the room, I ended up pacing around wondering what would happen next. This could be the end of Calambria for all I know.

Then, I started to hear talking in the distance. At first, I thought I was imagining it, but when I leaned against the back wall, the voices became louder. Was I going crazy? The floor beneath my feet turned, and I lost balance. I fell to my knees and the room was suddenly bright. It wasn’t until a few moments after that I realised the wall had turned and brought me into a completely different room.

“Nyala? How did you…” A voice trailed off.

Mrs. Beccam.

I was just as surprised as she was. “I-I…”

I looked around the room to see a couple of other people surrounding me in this room that looked somewhat like an office.

“This is a secret place that no students were supposed to know about.” She said sternly. “Why aren’t you in the chambers?”

In my head, I thought of so many possible things to say, but my mouth wouldn’t move. Instead, I sat on the floor, dumbfounded.

“Mrs. Beccam.” A voice said. “Senious is headed towards the main building.”

“Send out the guards. Where’s Chayn?” she questioned.

There was no response. Everyone just looked at each other, and though I knew the answer, I said nothing.

The mistress sighed and walked over to a huge spellbook placed on a stand. “Just send them out. I’ll have to handle this on my own.”

I backed away slowly, wondering if I was just a nuisance to them. “Chayn went after him.” I blurted out suddenly.

Several heads turned towards me. “And Kaiti is gone. I don’t know where she is but we have to find her.”

Mrs. Beccam let out a sigh. “Nyala, thank you but I think it’s best if you take a seat and let us handle this.”

By the sound of her tone I could tell that she wasn’t all that happy, and I couldn’t blame her. I’d let her down, along with the whole of Calambria.

“In fact, Buster, please escort her to the chambers. It’s best if she remains safely in there.”

“You can’t!” I protested. “You can’t put me back there! I can help I promise!”

The same long haired gentleman from before stepped before me. “Mrs. Beccam, with all due respect, she isn’t easy when it comes to sending her back to the chambers.”

A stern look from her was all it took to change Buster’s mind. He grabbed me by the shoulders and led me out the room. I couldn't go back. Not now. Kaiti was out there somewhere, and I had a feeling Senious was going to win this war.