the aftermath

Riley's POV

"Maya" I repeat just as I hear her turn the doorknob.

She stands in the doorway wiping her eye with the end of her sleeve. I glance around the hallway and step into the room. Closing the door behind me again I stand in front of Maya who's got her head hung in what I assume is shame.

"Hey" I say quietly.

"Hi" she says and forces a small smile. Her eyes are full of pain and her lip is slightly bleeding from the punch Lucas threw.

I don't know how to forgive him for that. So much for no drama. I knew Lucas went to parties with Zay a lot but I didn't think he drank too often. I'm still taken back at how he actually made a physical move. The feeling of Lucas's lips on my neck, I don't know it just felt wrong somehow. That may have scared me but Maya's outburst caught my attention more. I don't think I've ever seen her so angry.

My thoughts keep circulating until I remember why I came upstairs in the first place.

"Maya your lip..." I say and step closer.

"I'm fine Riles" she says and slides down against the door.

"You and I both know that's not true" I sit next to her.

"Shouldn't you be downstairs with Lucas? He got hit too" she asks trying to shut down the conversation.

There's no anger or spite in her voice only sadness.

"You really think I want to be down there right now? Maya I care about you more than I've ever cared about him" I say quietly.

"Really? You don't hate me for starting that fight?" she finally makes eye contact, asking me incredulously.

"Of course not, I could never hate you. You were trying to help me" I say and reach for her hand.

"Yeah well I couldn't bear to watch it" she replies.

She lets me trace over her palm gently, and neither of us can come up with anything to say.

"Peaches?"

"Yes"

"You really should get your lip cleaned up, it's kinda bad" I tell her and glance over at it.

"I guess you're right" she says and we both slowly get off the floor.

I open the door and she follows close behind until we find a bathroom at the other end of the hall. She pushes herself up onto the sink counter and I look for something to stop her lip from bleeding.

I settle on taking one of the various washcloths hanging up and give it to her. With the amount of luxury towels around here I doubt anyone will care.

"Here just put some pressure on it, you need to stop the bleeding."

"I'm not five I know what to do Riles" she says and puts it on her lip.

"Obviously you don't since you aren't even pressing on it" I reply. I walk over to her and position her hand so it's lightly pressing the towel on the wound.

She looks at me then looks down and raises her eyebrows slightly. It dawns on me that I'm standing very close to her. Right between her legs to be exact.

I move back quickly almost tripping in the process. I silently curse myself for being so clumsy and look down so she can't see me failing at willing away the blush that's surely visible.

"I think it stopped bleeding" she says and I look up slightly to see her hop down and toss the towel away.

I see her shoes come into view and she lifts my chin up. It does feel different when I'm not the one doing it but I'm not complaining. She puts her arms around my neck and looks at me. Then she's hugging me. It's unexpected but I'll take any excuse to be close to her.