"Nancy" I called faintly

"What exactly happened? What were you doing in her house and of all people why does it have to be her own cousin?" She lamented dropping her bag on the nearest chair.

"I swear I didn't know"

"Now what is going on? Like how is she?" She asked

"I signed the papers, She is in the operating room and they are trying to remove the fractures of glasses. Hopefully her skull and brain are okay" I said optimistically.

"You should be grateful this is our family hospital because some hospitals might not operate without_ just forget it" she cut herself short as the doctor Mr Adams who happens to be  our family doctor came to meet us.

"Hope she is okay" we said almost immediately.

"Oh yes she is still breathing but she is in a critical situation. Luckily her brain wasn't damaged nor was her skull but we just hope she wakes up and even if she does, we still have to keep close tabs on her here for concussion symptoms and Nancy let me see you in my office" Mr Adams explained.

"Oh sure" she nodded and carried her bag.

"But please can I see her?" I asked humbly with a sad face.

"Yes but please do not touch anything" Mr Adams informed me before leaving to his office with my sister.

Oh shit! I forgot to ask the room number

"Don't worry you can follow me, am going there now" a young lady who happens to be a nurse offered. She carried a tray filled with God-knows-what and a plastered smile that endowed her face but we all know that  Nigerian nurses are demons.

"How did you know I don't know the room number"

"You were talking aloud" she replied and took the lead while I followed suit without arguing.

Guilt filled me as I entered into the ward room seeing Tiwa sleeping stiff on the white bed. Her beautiful hair was shaved and bandage could be seen round her head and right arm.

She doesn't deserve this, she doesn't deserve this treatment, she doesn't deserve this pain.

The nurse did somethings and injected it into Tiwa's drip. Well I hope that is safe because movies taught me not to trust anyone especially nurses.

"She'll be fine" the nurse reassured and left.

I guess that lady can read minds.

My gaze fell back on Tiwa, I hate the way am seeing her without a smile on her pale cheek, without seeing her beautiful eyes, without hearing her laugh and pout. I hate seeing this picture but it was all my fault. All my stupid fault, if only.. if only..... But now I can't even touch her and reassure her.

She is just too innocent for all of this and I promise to make Joy and her family pay for all of this.

"LB" Nancy called as she entered into the room.

"What did the doctor say?" I asked without turning my head to meet her face

"We have to keep close tabs on her and hopes she comes out fully without any more symptoms or post effects" she said with indifference in her tone

"What post effects?" I asked

"Just pray she doesn't loss half or all of her memory" she replied and for the first time in my life I closed prayed to God for someone.

I really don't know what would happen to me if anything happens to her, Lord just have mercy and let her scale through this.

That alone, God, is my prayer.

**************

Days passed, weeks also and yet she has not woken up, since the beasts she called family never showed up, I took it upon myself to visit her every day and spend all my weekends with her reading her novels and books.

Although it was a bitter Sweet experience, I took it upon myself to stand still and wait till she opens her eyes and call my name.
I took a break from reading the book to observe her white face. A joyful smile crept on my face as I could see the peace that abound in her sleep.

"Do you have feelings for her?" Someone asked, I had totally forgotten that Nancy was with me all this while.

I straightened up and stood up to look at her face embarrassingly. I could not answer that question.

'do I truly have feelings for her?' no it is not possible, but.....no, no.

I can never fall in love, not after what Esther did to me.

"Miracle answer my questions, do you have have feelings for her?" She asked again persistently.

"Nancy is this really the time to ask that?" I asked not shifting my gaze on Tiwa's face.

"Am sorry it is just that_" she trailed off again and just sighed but I could understand more than that. It would be best if I just stay away from her, I might just break her.

"But why ain't the police taking up this case?It been weeks and they won't show up?" I said changing the topic to a more important one.

"LB we need to be patient, her uncle also have connections and last week I was hearing a different story. They were posing this as a home and careless accident"

"What?" I exclaimed and stood up from my seat to face Nancy.

"The police said from what they discovered, Tiwa only slipped and fell down on her own. So it is a home accident"

"They are crazy, can't they see the mark on her cheek, can't they see that the mark is from a slap. Hell why exactly am I arguing? Am a freaking witness and am going to go to court if that is what it would take to see their asses in jail"

"Really? A witness? Should I remind you the stupid reason why you were there in the first place?" She asked holding her arms under her breast but I only scoffed.

"I don't care sis, I don't care. Fine I made a mistake but I won't make another by sitting down here and watching her suffer when the fools she call family are busy enjoying"

"Just calm down will you?" She shouted while I just sat down yo watch Tiwa's face again only to see tears dropping from her closed eye. Fear gripped my body as I watch the tear trail down from her eye to her earlobes.

"Nancy! Nancy!! She's crying Tiwa's crying" I exclaimed and Nancy sprouted to call the doctor.

What exactly is going on? Why the tears?
The doctors busted in to check her condition and from what I observed her fingers moved.

Everything was so strange and I couldn't understand whatever the doctors were pulling and adding to her body, all I knew was that;
Slowly and slowly to the joy of my heart, her eyes opened, closed and opened again.

Everyone heaved of happiness and I ran to her side giving her my smile but the next word she said brought an end to it

"Who are you people"

Thanks for reading
Don't forget to vote and comment.
One love💟💟💟💟💟💟