18

A high pitched ring seemed to linger in my ears. I reopened my eyes, coughing away the dust that was in the atmosphere. My whole body ached but I still pushed myself to my feet. Minhyuk returned to his next to me. The clouded air began to clear.

The silo's roof had completely disintegrated and sides have been blown off.

My mom was reaching for the old book that she was reading the words from. "Once the seal is broken, I can curse him and this will all be over." Her voice was raspy and worn from the explosion taking a toll on all of us.

Wonho's figure began to crawl out from the silo. He was obviously hurt and struggling. Wonho's legs gave out on him and he fell to his hands and knees.

My mom had finally retrieved her book and flipped through pages.

"No!" I yelled, my feet propelling me forward. "Mom, stop it!"

I clutched the book in my hands and pried it from my mother's grasp. I threw the item into a thicket, away from my mom.

"You stupid child!" Her words stung me more than anything she's ever said before. I couldn't believe they actually left her mouth.

Minhyuk stayed clear of the both of us. His eyes would travel back and forth, unsure of who to defend.

Out of the corner of my eye, Wonho was able to stand. I snapped my head in his direction to come eye to eye with a feral looking beast. This can't be him, I desperately thought. His eyes had a red tint and burned into my soul. Why did he look so unforgiving?

He can't hurt me. He won't.

I took a step in his direction.

Wonho didn't even wait another second. He darted away into the forest behind the silo. I wanted to follow him into the mass of trees, but a hand held me back by the wrist.

I traced the arm up to Minhyuk's face. It was covered with a thin layer of dirt and sweat. His hair was disheveled and hanging messily over his forehead. I wanted to read his expression, but it seemed too hidden and locked away. It was like Minhyuk didn't want me to know how he was feeling at that moment.

"Do you love Wonho?" he finally asked.

I didn't answer his question. I didn't know how. It seemed like the answer would be no, and I would tell Minhyuk he was the one I loved. But it wasn't true, none of it ever was and I felt awful that I've been living a lie for so long. Sorry for myself, but mostly sorry for Minhyuk because I led him on.

Minhyuk's free hand came to my face and gently pushed my stray hairs away. In the spot he cleared, Minhyuk's lips met my forehead. I blinked softly at his touch. Even if I didn't love him romantically, I still felt a comfort in his gesture. Like a brother kissing his sister on the forehead in a caring way.

"Be careful, Miyoung," he told me.

Then, he let go of my wrist.