chapter four: "know you"

Start from the beginning

"I said lady... these hoes some bitches." He shrugged. "They sloppy, don't care about themselves."

"And you think I do?"

"It may have only been a few days but lil mama, I know you do."

Smiling, Regine looked down at her shoes trying to hide her blush. Meechie noticed and wanted to tell her not to look down when she was with him but decided not to speak on it just yet.

"I hope you'on mind walking. The place I wanna go ain't far and ion wanna waste no gas, you feel me?"

"Yeah, that's fine. Can we stop by my car tho? I wanna drop my bag off and grab my purse."

"You such a girl." Meech laughed, "But yes ma'am, you lead da way."

After stopping by Regine's car, the duo made their way three blocks down to a nearby museum. 'Black by Black 2' was an art museum that focused on and showcased the art of black culture by black folks. It peaked Meechie's interest a couple of years ago and he went frequently, as the art changed often. Not only could you go in and look at exhibits but you could buy them, and sell your own art to the museum. Meechie came here to stimulate his mind, to see how he perceived things, and today he wanted to see how Regine's mind worked. Especially about black culture.

Opening the door for her, Meechie stepped to the side as he let her walk in first. "Come on dis way," he said as he grabbed her hand in his and led the way to the VIP entrance.

"Ah, Mr. Simpson, how nice to see you." The clerk spoke with a smile.

"Mista Walka," Meechie smiled as he stretched out his words. "Ain't it nice ta see you, how the Mrs.?"

"Getting on my damn nerves son, boy I'a wrangle her ass up if she wa'nt the love of my life. Who's this pretty lil lady wit you?"

"This is Regine, Regine this is Mr. Walker, he's been here since this place opened."

"Hi," she shyly smiled at him, scooting closer to Meechie unintentionally. "It's nice to meet you."

"Don't be hiding girl!"

"Mista Walka ion know why she hiding. She be cussing and shit." Meechie said, making Regine look at him with wide eyes.

"Wow," she said with a laugh.

"Same thing I said the first time I got caught cheatin', she bad, I can tell." Mr. Walker said shaking his head. "Here I go thankin' maybe she a good lil pretty lady."

"Right. Niggas favorite word afta they get caught always 'wow', she know she wrong." Meechie said looking down at Regine with a fake disappointed black mother look.

"I can't believe you two are really cracking down on me like this."

"Damn shame, I know you know betta too," Mr. Walker added on with a healthy laugh, "Alright na, y'all two gon' in and have fun. Stop by the restaurant when you can boy, Arnettis would love ta see you, her annoying ass be asking about you like she popped you out her own pussy."

Catching her by surprise, Mr. Walker earned himself a shocked expression from Regine, making Meechie laugh as he guided her through the metal detector doors.

"He is a fool, I can already tell. But, what exactly is this?" Regine asked as she began to spot paintings and sculptures.

"This is Black by Black 2, my favorite museum. Nothing but black. Afro Cuban black, Africa, Dominican Black, all that shit. Love, hate, growth, entertainment. Everything in this place is centered 'round colored people."