Chpt One-Fued of the Pack

*Harlyn's POV*

  They stormed the lobby, ready to do whatever to get past anything in their path. I knew. I heard them. They being a pack-more specifically, the Rustling Branches pack-that I had royally pissed off.

   I didn't do anything-well, except trespass and steal-and they chased me off! So now, here I am, Harlyn the griffin shifter, in a hotel built for rogues and lone shifters and weres.

   And they had followed me.

   I heard them stamping in the lobby. Thank the stars above that there was only a tired vampire and some wasted
Werecats in the hotel, plus maybe two workers. But the pack was fuming. I called on my griffin senses, and pressed my ear to the floor, listening.

   "Where is she?" A voice. Alpha, definitely. He had a thick Hispanic accent. It dripped like melting ice.

   "Sir, I don't know who you're talking about." Worker of the hotel, female, werecat. I then heard a loud slam of bone and flesh meeting stone. He had slammed her head onto the stone counter of the front desk. I heard her shriek in pain. I felt my skin crawl. It was getting serious.

    I drew my head from the floor, and walked to the window, peeking out. A single pack member was stationed at the back of the hotel, where I was.

   I concocted a brilliant plan. I was to kill that guard, slink around, pretend to be human, surprise the Alpha, get the worker out, defend, flee and find a new place to stay.

   I checked the clock. 12:10 AM. Pitch dark outside. Here goes nothing.

   I opened the window and removed the screen. I perched there, still in my human form, looking down. I took a deep breath, and jumped.

   I shifted in midair. I was a harpy eagle-snow leopard griffin, which is quite rare. I soared down, not making a noise. He turned to face me way too late. I sank my claws into his heart and throat. He fell limp, and his body became cold indicating he was dead. I kicked him away, and shifted into my human form, and prepped myself. I tucked my black and long hair behind my ears, brushed off my pale skin and flattened my clothes, before I slunk past the guards.

   I kept my scent hidden as I strutted into the lobby. The Alpha snarled, and twisted around to glare at me, a knife to the worker's throat.

   "Oh goodness me!" I wailed, forcing my voice to go to an extremely high pitch. "This is terrible!"

    "Damn right." The Alpha Snapped. "You didn't see nothing."

    "Oh but I did. And I'll get the police."

    "No you won't."

    "Right, you'll turn into wolves and stop me."

    "Wait, how did you-"

I didn't give him time to think. I let my scent go, let it fill the room, and his eyes widened. I shifted, and then he shifted into a lean black wolf. I snorted, and slammed him in the side with a large talon. He went skidding across the room,his paws useless against the tile. I gave a mighty shriek, and the werewolves pressed against the wall and the counter, their eyes betraying fear.

"Back away from her." I ordered sternly. I could talk in my griffin form. But, a voice within me spoke, so I could pronounce all the other letters you need lips for. I just moved my beak in accordance to the words, and they believed it.

The wolves back away, still fearful. I looked towards the worker, to see a lioness in her place. She snarled, leaping over the wolves and standing beside me.

"You..." the Alpha growled, standing up. I noted with satisfaction that his left hind leg was curled up, and he was in pain. I had broken his leg. Two wolves helped him up, and he flicked his left ear. Every wolf shifted, somehow still clothed, like me.

I shifted as well, now in human form. The worker had done so too.

"You stole from us!" The Alpha roared. "And trespassed! So you hid here, and maimed me?!" He was absolutely furious, but I could feel fear and anxiety. You see, griffins don't smell. We sense. It's a strange thing, but it's like smell, but not really.

"I didn't realize it, your border marks were faint! And I let you have that squirrel back." I growled, and he backed up. "Now get out of here!" The worker stood beside me. "You and your pack are banned, Rocky." Rocky is is his name... I let my eyes change from their usual green to pale violet-My griffin eyes. They got the message, and hurried out the door.

I heard the worker. "Thank you so much!" I turned to the hotel worker. She was a dark-skinned woman with curly hair and strange yellow eyes. "You're welcome... but I have to go." She looked confused. "Why?"

"It is unsafe here." I murmured, glancing at the claw scratches on the ground. "Other packs will know I'm here. I am sorry, but I have to leave."

She understood, and I packed my things. I walked outside, into the forest, and shifted, before flying into the black sky.

***

I flew till dawn arose. The hotel had been in the middle of Canada, next to Reindeer Lake. I, however wanted to go to Mount Temple, which was also in Canada... in Banff National Park. But, it was a risk I was willing to take.

Are you sure about this? Asked my griffin, Sleet. Very. I answered. But there will be tons of humans. Even werewolves won't make homes there.

I'm sure, Sleet. We wouldn't be going if I wasn't sure. Anyway, I know that werewolves hunt there. I'll blend in.

     With that, I silenced her, feeling guilty. I loved Sleet. She was an amazing partner. But she nagged a lot. I had to shut her out.

     I saw the mountain's shape. I was excited. I flew faster, as the sun rose. If it, humans and shifters would see me. I dove, soaring across a lake, till I reached the mountain. Mount Temple surrounded a huge lake in the center, where I would fish.

     It was a perfect place. I spotted a cave in the side of the mountain, and flew down. The cave was wonderful, with no stalagmites or stalactites to get in my way. At the back of the cave, there was a little waterfall, which poured into a little pool.

    It was perfect. Amazing. I loved it. I would clean it, buy some stuff-I stole the Alpha who attacked me's wallet-and settle in. I gazed out at the sunrise, and breathed in the cool air. I'd finally be able to settle down, in a place to call my own.