Runt

Sol chased after the dog as it ran through the safe house. Humans glared at the boy each taking a step back. They didn't like having the wolf in their home. Even if the wolves were now somewhat allies they still didn't like having them around.

"Sol!!" Luke glared after the boy. The runt had been giving Luke problems since the day he had arrived three months ago.

The first month had been the worst. Luke had kept the boy locked in his room. Everyone else in the safe house was appalled by Alison's tolerance of the boy. Luke was as well. He didn't want anything to do with Sol but was forced to watch the dog.

"Sol! Get over here right now!" Luke glared after the boy and turned to the people who's peace he had disrupted. "I'm sorry guys, I'm trying my best to keep him under control."

The group grumbled but moved on to what they were doing much to Luke's relief. Also to Lukes relief, Sol returned to him.

"Yeah?" Sol tilted his head innocently and looked up at Luke wide eyed as if he hadn't done anything wrong. It was hard for Luke not to think of the boy as cute when he gave him that look.

"You can't run through the building like that! We may be in some kind of weird truce with your pack but these people still aren't happy to have you here. They will kill you over the slightest infraction and no one will stop them. Including me." Luke's words were a bit harsher than he intended and he almost apologized but stopped when he saw the pup's reaction to the news....

"Wait! The dogs getting away!" Sol ran as if Luke had said nothing at all.

"You have to admit the kid is adorable." Luke was startled by Alison's voice as he looked after his mate in bewilderment.

"The only thing I would admit is that he's annoying as hell. Someone's going to shoot him one day and then your gonna turn on me when it happens." Luke sighed. Now he was just down the hall having finally caught the dog that had so adamantly tried to evade capture.

"No one is going to shoot him. I've ordered them not to." That was reassuring. Not.

"What about when he finally gets tired of not changing into his wolf and decides to sneak off for a walk in his fur? The patrol won't hesitate to shoot an unfamiliar wolf roaming the woods at night." Truth be told Luke had nightmares about that exact situation. Not that he would ever admit to worrying about the pup.

"I'm sure it will be fine. He just has to control himself for a while." Alison was too at ease over the situation. "Plus, if the wolves step one paw out of line you get to shoot him."

The whole agency knew this but for some reason, it struck Luke as odd hearing the compassionate woman so nonchalant about it. He would have thought she would be more uncomfortable with the idea.

Alison read the slight surprise on Luke'a face. "Above all else, he's still a dog. I know I may seem to be going easy on this pack but I still have human values at heart. I don't care how harmless he seems. If the pack messes up...he's dead and war is back on."

For some reason that Luke couldn't comprehend he didn't like the thought of the pup being put down. Luke hid his unease though. Nodded and shrugged, as if it didn't faze him.

"That's the real reason, I'm leaving him in your care. You won't get attached and if the time comes you won't hesitate."

Alison turned and walked away leaving Luke to look down the long hall at the small boy playing with the puppy. He wondered if that was true. Guess there was only one way to find out.