"I- I don't have any equipments for this situation," I fumbled with my words as I took a step so that she could come in.

"All we need is shampoo to be honest, I don't think he has a preference," she mumbled the last bit to the animal in her arms as they stared at her with wide eyes. "It'll only take twenty minutes—max." I stared at her, contemplating whether to agree or not. My mom won't be home until eleven, the next morning the most, but that didn't matter.

"You disappeared for a week and pop up suddenly with a stray animal and expect me to help you?" I asked, finding it amusingly dumb.

"Uh... yeah?" She answered unsure. "Please, Daniel, please!" She pleaded, widening her eyes and jutting her bottom lip out exaggeratingly. I would've disagreed either way if I hadn't looked down to see the animal giving me the same look, and I swear, I think I heard a whimper from it.

Clenching my jaw, I groaned, grumbling, "Fine." I lead them to my bathroom, not wanting them to ruin anything in my mom's or the guest bathroom before looking through my things and finding a shampoo. "Are you sure this is okay? Why didn't you bring it to a vet or something?"

"I couldn't, I don't have my wallet on me and also, the nearest vet is thirty minutes away, why go there when I can come here for free service?" She grinned, the dimple appearing. I rolled my eyes, shaking my head at her as we stood by the sink, filling it up with warm water and began bathing the animal.

"Why did you take it in?" I asked as we were scrubbing the mud off its fur. "Never thought you were one to have a soft spot for animals."

"I've always wanted a dog, you know? Or any pet that wasn't a fish or a bird, something I could hold," she mumbled. I couldn't help but stare at her, watching as she scrubbed the mud off with so much concentration, a crease appeared between her brows and her bottom lip was pulled between her teeth as she scrubbed at a stubborn spot by the ear.

"Daniel?" I looked away, a blush appearing on my cheeks and my ears burning in embarrassment of being caught.

"Yeah?" I squeezed my eyes shut, afraid to look her in the eye, but when I opened one eye to check, she wasn't even looking at me but down at the animal.

"I honestly thought this was a stray dog," she said.

"What do you— oh." We both stared down at the creature in the sink, it's face clean of any dirt or mud, its eyes glimmering under the bathroom light.

"I saved a damn fox."

this chapter was inspired by that one picture of a really dirty animal, that one might've thought was a dog, but when they washed all of the mud off, it was actually a fox

if how i described it confused you, here's the pic:

and also, in my books (previous works and all) i never stray too far from having an animal included in them

and also, i'd imagine something like this happening to people like brennan

don't forget to vote, comment and share :)x