Chapter 6 Part 1: "Not A Love Song"

You were my first ever

I wish we'd never met

You drink to feel better

I'm drinking to forget

Continued from previous chapter....

"It's about your dad and my mom. Penny...I think they're having an affair." Owen whispered.

Penny said nothing, and there was nothing but silence on the other line.

"Penny, are you still there?" Owen asked nervously since all she heard was silence.

"Yeah, I'm still here. Owen, I know you have a great sense of humor, but you really shouldn't make jokes like that." Penny answered back with a bit of anger in her voice.

"It's no joke, Penny."

Penny scoffed with displeasure.

"Why are you telling me this?" Penny asked.

"Because it's the truth." Owen answered back simply.

"Look Owen, I really don't know where you got this ridiculous notion that my dad is having an affair with your mom. Where did you get that idea?" Penny asked in a demanding tone of voice.

Owen was quiet for a moment as she thought about her mother's sudden change in attitude. Her mother seem happier than she had in years. It all led back to the moment her mother and Penny's dad saw each other at the Hop Jam back in May.

"Hello, Owen!" Penny yelled.

Penny's voice took Owen out of her thoughts.

"Yeah?" Owen said.

"I asked you a question and I want an answer." Penny demanded.

"Penny, have you noticed a change in your dad's attitude?" Owen asked point blank.

"What does that have to do with the fact you think that he and your mom are having an affair?"

"Just answer the question." Owen said getting slightly impatient with Penny.

Penny sighed as she thought back to her dad's behavior and realized that there was, in fact, a change in his attitude.

"Yeah. He seems..." Penny was trying to find the right word to say...

"Happier" Owen answered for her.

Penny was left stunned because that was the word she was about to use to describe her dad's sudden attitude change.

There was a brief silence on the phone, until Owen spoke up again.

"I noticed the same change in my mom too."

"Okay, but that doesn't mean our parents are having an affair though."

"It doesn't?" Owen stated back with boldness.

"Owen, do you not want to be my friend anymore?" Penny asked.

"What? Of course I still want to be your friend. Why would you think I wouldn't want us to be friends anymore?" Owen answered back with confusion in her voice.

"Then why are you telling me these lies?" Penny asked with distress in her voice.

"Penny, I swear to you that I am telling you the truth. Your dad and my mom are having an affair."

"How can that be possible?" Penny asked dumbfounded.

"Because they have history together." Owen stated.

"As friends Owen. I know they met years ago when your mom opened for my dad's band when they were teenagers, but that doesn't mean anything." Penny told her friend.

"Penny, our parents weren't just friends. They were lovers. Penny your dad and my mom got together when they were teenagers and they fell in love with one another." Owen stated.