CHAPTER TWO.

˚✩ ⋆。˚ ✩

LIVING AGAIN
two —— new orleans, 2011.

The scent of fresh fruit and pastries traveled around the Compound as a laugh could be heard echoing through the house

The scent of fresh fruit and pastries traveled around the Compound as a laugh could be heard echoing through the house. In the middle of the yard, Anne sat accompanied by Marcel who wore a grin as he watched the blonde laughing in delight. As Anne's laugh died, the woman allowed her gaze to travel around the place, feeling the smile on her lips dying as her subconscious went back to when she used to live in the place.

"Ma?" Marcel's voice snapped Anne out of her thoughts and the blonde quickly shook her head before she turned to meet Marcel's eyes, which were filled with curiosity as he observed her. "You okay?"

Anne nodded, reaching across the table to give Marcel's hand a squeeze. "Just memories coming back, nothing to worry about," The blonde reassured the younger vampire as she raised the cup of coffee to her lips. "Now, what were you saying?"

"I was telling you that Klaus was back," Marcel commented, watching Anne carefully to see her reaction, but to his surprise, her features remained the same, showing that it was not a revelation to her. "But it seems you already knew," Anne nodded at his words, causing Marcel to press his lips into a thin line. "He has yet to see you, right? Because from the way he is acting, he doesn't know that the woman he loves didn't die a century ago and is in the same city as him."

"Loved," Anne softly corrected the man she saw as a son, holding up a finger to cut him off when she saw him open his mouth to complain. "I really can't hold it against him, my love. He thinks that I died in that fire a century ago, and he had every right to move on with his life." 

Marcel stared at Anne, frowning when he saw her whole demeanor sour. "Ma," Marcel called out, ready to press on the subject, but the moment her eyes met his' Marcel knew it wouldn't be the wise thing to do, so instead he put on a grin on his lips and stood up from his seat, offering the blonde a hand. "Come on, I have something to show you, and in the meantime, you can tell me all about this Frances Meadowes, alright?"

A smile formed at the mention of the witch, and Anne accepted his hand, heading out of the compound and into a black SUV that had been waiting for her. "This is her," Anne said to Marcel, taking out her phone and showing him a picture of the two together, in which Anne had been laughing while Frances made a funny face at the camera. Marcel saw the way her demeanor had brightened at the mention of the witch, and that made him smile.

"She is very beautiful," Marcel complimented, allowing a smile to form on his lips as he saw how Anne's persona had brightened at the mention of Frances. "How did you meet her?"

"The Meadowes witches are from New York, where I used to live. There I met Frances' grandmother, and she along Frances'mother used to work for me,"  Anne began explaining, but a tired sigh escaped her lips, and she looked down to her lap with guilt written all over her features. "Sadly, Frances' mother was killed just after she gave birth. Some of the new vampires wanted to provoke me so they killed her. I got rid of them, but Frances was left alone with no one to take care of her. So, I took her in, and she has been with me since then."