Chapter 11: Author Man Has Run Out of Quotes

[A few weeks later.]

*Y/n POV*

"Really Nick?" I said, staring at the sky, "Self referential titles? I this how far you've fallen?"

I heard the sound of duct tape being pulled, and a voice from the sky spoke, "Great, now I not only have to fix plot holes, I have to fix the fourth wall. By the way, Rias is coming."

"Thanks author man."

I heard someone coming up behind me, and as the author said, it was Rias.

"What are you doing out here Y/n?" She asked.

"Breaking the fourth wall," She looked confused, "Don't worry, it means nothing."

"Okay," She said, "Well, I came for your help."

I stood up and did a mock bow, "how can I help you today, my fine lady?" I said in a British accent.

She giggled, "Well, Kiba has been acting weird lately, and as his best friend, I want you to find out what it is."

I shrugged a bit, "I'll figure it out. Don't worry."

"Thank you Y/n."

She walked away and I pulled out my phone. I found Kiba's number and called it up. It rung for a bit before I heard a voice. "Hey Y/n, what's up?"

"Hey Kiba, I just wanted to know, can you meet me in town in a little while. I'd like to talk to you."

He was silent for a bit, then responded, "Y/n, if this is about me acting weird, tell Rias I'm fine."

"Not F***ing likely. You're my friend Kiba, probably my best. I wanna help."

He sighed, "I'd argue, but you'd never give up, would you."

"What can I say, I'm stubborn."

He chuckled a bit, "Well, I'll meet you at the cafe in town in half an hour."

"See ya then, Kiba."

I hung up and began talking to Funus.

'What do you think has got Kiba acting so weird?'

'I don't know. It could be anything.'

'Yeah, I just...hope he's okay.'

[Timeskip]

I walked up to the cafe and saw Kiba waiting right outside. I walked up behind him a tapped his shoulder. He turned around and smiled at me.

"Hey Y/n," He greeted, "Shall we go inside?"

"Yeah sure."

We walked inside and ordered coffee. I got black coffee and Kiba got tea. We were sipping our drinks in a quiet corner of the cafe when I brought up what I wanted to talk about.

"So Kiba, what's gotten into you recently?"

He sighed and put down his drink, "Well...Tell me, have you ever heard of Excalibur?"

"Of course I have. Legendary sword, holy sword, wielded by King Arthur."

"Well, have you ever heard of the holy sword experiments?"

"Only rumors, hearsay, stories. I know that the church tortured kids to see if they could create the strongest holy sword wielder."

"Well, I'm a survivor of those experiments."

My eyes widened, "I...I don't quite know what to say."

He chuckled a bit, "Most people don't." He sighed, "The reason I've been acting so weird is because I saw a picture of the holy sword. it was in Issei's house."

"Well, that's strange. Clearly he doesn't have it anymore, since we would have felt that. What else was in the picture?"

"His childhood friend was also in the picture. Apparently, her family was christian."

"Well, she might have a piece of the sword, but I have no idea where or what the church might be having her do."

"Same here, It's just," He sighed, "I can't help but think about all the innocent kids killed by that sword, and it makes me angry."

I rubbed his shoulder a bit, calming him down, "Well, if the sword shows up around here, or anywhere where a shinigami can find it, I will help you hunt it down."

He looked me in the eyes, "Thank you Y/n, I couldn't ask for a better friend."

I looked up at the roof, "Eh, I'm just doing my job as a friend. You've been a good friend too, so I got to get you back before you make me look bad."

He chuckled, "Well, I doubt I can make you look bad, at least in the eyes of Rias."

'Partner, I fell the sword nearby. Don't tell Kiba, he won't react well.'

'Understood.'

I stood up, grabbing my cup, "Well, should we be off? There's a new arcade in town I thought would be fun."

He stood up, "What is it with you and finding the most random things?"

I shrugged, "I need to satisfy my boredom. I get it from my Dad."

"Makes sense."

We walked out of the cafe, and as we walked down the street, we past by two figures dressed in white cloaks.

'Their from the church. They have Excalibur. Gotta be careful about these guys.'

I guided Kiba down an ally, to avoid them. Eventually, we got to the arcade. As we played, Kiba seemed...happier. It made me strangely happy to see my friend happy.

'I guess that's the human in me. Can't say I hate it.'