Chapter 9

I listened to Data as he told me what to do with the candles. We had only just started, a little farther away from the rest of the guys. I had always admired Data's smarts. Sure he was a little weird, but he was also kind of a genius.

I was just thinking about how much I wanted a shower when I heard Mikey's yells.

"What?" Data and I asked.

Data looked up, "Oh, God!" And started running.

"What?!" I yelled, my head tipped to look up. There was a boulder hanging from the ceiling, the same one on Copperpots skeleton. There were a bunch all in a line, the worst part was that they were shaking like they were going to fall.

I immediately took off after Data, right on his heals. He tripped and I yanked on him to stand up. He looked up to the boulder in fright, making me look. I pulled on him again just as it fell and we raced on again. I could hear the others yelling for us. Data and I dived into a little cave with everyone.

I breathed heavily. Man, I'm out of shape. Gotta start working out more.

The boulders were falling in a line, one after the other. Mikey lunged out of the cave, everyone grabbing onto him but he got away.

"Mikey!" I yelled. "What are you doing?"

He fell next to the skeleton and grabbed some strange necklace and our lamp. Just as the last boulder fell, Mikey jumped into the cave, safe and alive. Maybe a little scarred, but alive nonetheless.

We were all packed together and breathing heavily, the adrenaline subsiding. We turned to face the other direction.

"That was close." Brand said. "Wait, wait, listen. It sounds like someone's down there.

Brand was looking at a weird rock, it seemed to be blocking a hole. I listened and there was definitely some sort of noise echoing down there.

Brand crawled forward to hear better. My brows came together, unsure of what was in there.

"Maybe it's a way out."

"Maybe it's the Fratellis."

"Maybe Chuck found a place."

"Maybe it's another one of Willy's booby traps."

"Maybe it's a ghost." I added.

Brand began to push it, grunting with the effort. It was a big rock....

"Brand," Steph began, "God put that rock there for a purpose and, um, I'm not so sure you should, um, move it, um." She trailed off, as Brand pushed the rock all the way back and stuck his head in.

"Hello?" His voice echoed and there was silence. Then, out of nowhere, a swarm of screeching bats flew out of the hole. They flew into our faces and hair. I screamed and swatted at them, trying to get them away. I could hear Steph screaming the loudest, "Rabies!" And Mouth from beside me, "Sit! Sit!" Any other day, I would have laughed, this was not that day. I tried to keep my mouth shut, in fear of one getting into my mouth. I didn't want to pull an Ozzy.

I was thankful when the bats cleared. When they did we began a long walk down yet another tunnel.

"If I survive this, I am never walking down another tunnel in my life." I grumbled to myself.

"Good thinking, gorgeous."

"Shut up, Mouth."

"You got it, Lux."

I hid my blush behind my hair. Oh, how dirty it was, so heartbreaking. For some reason we all stopped and I was left in the back.

"What's up, guys?" I asked....but was completely ignored.