Chapter 18: Flowers and Farewells

Start from the beginning

"Well... Jason."

I jumped at the sound of my own name.

"Yeah?"

Della didn't stir at first. "You probably have a lot of questions."

I shuffled my feet and crammed my nervous hands in my pockets. "A few..." I finally admitted. I still hadn't seen the name engraved on the stone, but I wasn't sure I wanted to.

However, that moment of uncertainty was ruined in my next breath, because Della suddenly turned around and moved out of the way.

I saw the name.

And I was even more confused than I had been before.

"But who...?" I paused, glancing at Della and then back to the stone.

"Look closer," she pressed, nudging me nearer to it.

I scuffled closer. And still I thought my eyes were deceiving me. The picture engraved on the stone... was this a joke?

"Old Douglas? Douglas the

"Old Douglas? Douglas the... Camel?"

I blinked.

What the frick?

"Della, what the heck—?" I spun around. "What is this??"

Della smiled a little. She seemed slightly amused by my confusion and my rapidly growing agitation. "It's Douglas the Camel."

"Yes, Della, I can freaking READ," I rolled my eyes so hard I saw spots. "Stop the games and explain! What is going on?"

Della chuckled a little. But she simultaneously maintained a sense of serenity and earnestness. "Jason, this is Douglas. He was a Camel, and he served during the Civil War."

I ran my hands through my hair, pulling at it. I didn't even care that it all stood up on end. I was so unbelievably mad.

"Della, are you actually kidding me?" my breathing pattern was extremely offbeat now.

"No, Jason, Douglas was actually—"

"I'm not messing around, Della!" I snapped, glaring into her gentle face. "You almost gave me a heart-attack. I thought this was something serious. You scared the hell out of me."

"This is serious, Jas—"

"You know what, no! No it's not. I'm actually mad right now. Legitimately mad." I huffed and dropped my hands at my side. As soon as I did, they felt awkward just dangling there, so I pulled them back up and crossed them into my chest.

"Jason..." Della's soothing tone attempted to calm my tousled feelings. "Will you just let me explain?"

I didn't reply. I only pursed my lips together and glowered at the tombstone.

A stupid camel named Douglas... Who even names a camel Douglas?

Della ignored my silence and proceeded with her narration. "Douglas was a camel, during the Civil War. In the 43rd Mississippi infantry, to be specific; he was a Confederate Camel."