Grant What I Wish - Chapter 14. Blunder

Chapter 14. Blunder

Take an axe to the prison wall.

Escape.

Walk out like someone suddenly born into color.

Do it now.

-Rumi

Nottingham

1195

Isabella stared out the window of the great hall, deep in thought. She was so engrossed in her contemplation that she did not hear the jingle of spurs as her captain walked across the floor to the edge of the landing above her. "M'lady," he called, after two failed attempts to attract her attention by clearing his throat. When she spun about, Blamire announced, "We have received word that the woman Kate arrived in at her mother's hovel in Locksley late last night. She was observed weeping in her mother's arms this morning, my informant tells me."

"That is good news, Blamire," Isabella responded absently, her brow wrinkled in thought. "But I am afraid that forcing Kate back to Locksley will do no more than distract Robin Hood-it will not be enough to tear his gang asunder. No, I must do more." She spun about to face him. "I want you to tell the guards to spread the word that I have pardoned Alan-he is no longer wanted, but free to do as he pleases. Since he has been a traitor once before, it should not be difficult to convince Robin and the others that he has turned traitor again. Yes," she continued, her eyes narrowing in concentration, "the arguments and suspicions that will ensue should be enough to split Robin and his followers apart."

Blamire watched her, a chilly smile on his face. "Very well," he responded, and departed to carry out her orders.

Isabella sighed contentedly. Really, it was all so easy to dupe Robin Hood, she thought. As he duped you, a small voice deep inside of her replied. As the unbidden thought crossed her mind, she clenched her hands into fists. Her face flamed as she remembered the kisses she had so freely given him, and her fervent desire to please him-nay, to be loved by him. She had thought that perhaps he was the man who would love and appreciate her, as she deserved to be loved and appreciated, only to discover that he used her to gather information and act in his own interests. You will see, Robin Hood, that your biggest mistake was spurning me, she thought with vicious intent. If she had her way, he would pay with his life.

********

Archer waited anxiously in the tavern to meet with one of the Nottingham guards. He had a proposition to put forward, and hoped it would earn him the money he so desperately needed. The drunken peasant he had supped with the previous night had let slip information about a secret passageway into the castle.

Since his ill-gotten venture in York, Archer was penniless, possessing nothing but the horse he had purloined, his sword and bow, and the clothes upon his back. If he could turn this information into gold, he would be set for awhile. He was used to living by his wits and traveling on his own. The news that he had family had thrown him off his stride.

He had been alone his whole life; the family that raised him had been cold and unaffectionate, and had informed him at an early age that he was not their true child, but merely entrusted to them for keeping. He had left this home at the age of twelve, and struck out to make his own way. He had worked in stables mucking out stalls, in a travelling act that put on magic acts and did deeds of daring, and once as squire to a knight who had subsequently been killed in the Crusades. That knight had taught him to wield a sword, while his companions had taught him the use of a bow and arrow. At the age of two and twenty, he had become a skilled warrior, and returned to England where he lived by his wits, earning his bread by conning others out of their hard-earned money.