The Wedding Planner [Chapter 5]

I jumped at hearing someone knock on the door of my apartment. Clearly, I get startled very easily. Even though I wasn't watching anything scary, I'm not sure of why I jumped. Maybe it was because it was raining outside, and the thunder was loud enough to wake up a Westly. But I wasn't expecting anyone at seven thirty on a Thursday night.

Setting down the remote on the couch and rising to my feet, I walked to the door, and opened it.

Kirk stood in the doorway, his eyes on his shoes and his hands shoved in his pockets.

"Hey," I said, leaning on the door frame of my front door. "What's up? Why aren't you with Daphne?" I asked, trying to sound gentle, even though the thought of Daphne or even saying her name unsettled me.

"She went out with her friends to go do something, and I thought I'd hang out here." I adored his British accent, so I couldn't help but smile. He sounded so shy right then, as if he was inviting himself on a date with me. I noticed that he was dripping. His dark coat had water all over it and his light brown hair was damp, unmanageable.

"Maybe she was going out to her bachelorette party. That reminds me, I need to help you plan a bachelor party," I said, continuing to sound casually cheerful, even though the thought was killing me.

"She isn't one to have a party like that. She'd have a very 'tasteful but fun' wedding shower," Kirk said, smiling at me. I giggled at him and he continued to smile. "So can I hang out here?"

I looked at him for a moment, then nodded. I opened the door wide enough for him to walk in and he did, and I closed the door behind him.

"I was about to get up and order pizza for dinner," I told him, walking to the kitchen where my phone lay on the counter, charging and waiting for me to pick it up and waste my brain cells on it. "Want that?"

"Oh, God, yes. Daphne hates pizza and will not let me eat it. It's not sane!" Kirk said.

My eyes widened a bit. "Really? That's surprising," I lied.

"Not really," Kirk said, giving me a look before sitting on the couch. "What are you watching?" he asked, looking at the screen of the TV in confusion.

 I pulled my cell phone from its charger and walked into the living room, looking at the TV. "Some romance movie that was on...." my voice trailed off after realizing that it was a sex scene. "And that is something that I'm not going to watch with you." I quickly turned and walked back to the kitchen, phone in hand and dialing the number for the pizza place.

Kirk laughed at me. "Oh, come on. You're more mature than that. You can watch a stupid romance movie with me. I am your best friend, right?"

I kept my eyes on my phone as I dialed the number. "Now, I wouldn't say that," I muttered.

Kirk gave me a glance and scoffed. "What's that supposed to mean?"

I just waved at him as I held the cell phone to my ear, as if to just say 'Forget it'.