The Wedding Planner [Chapter 20]

Westly wrapped his fingers in mine as he held my hand.

Settle down with me.

Cover me up.

Cuddle me in.

Lie down with me,

And hold me in your arms.

And your heart’s against my chest,

Your lips press to my neck,

I’m falling for your eyes,

But they don’t know me yet,

And with a feeling I’ll forget,

I’m in love now.

Westly gripped my hand tightly. I couldn’t help but start to blush. I was watching Kirk and Daphne dance together, just them, to a song that I helped Daphne pick out. I remember that she had no idea what their song could have been. It wasn’t the perfect song for them, really, but watching them dance together was precious, probably the most precious time for them.

I glanced at Westly, and when I realized he was staring back at me, I kept eye contact. He was looking at me in such a loving way, like he had fallen in love with me right then. Or something behind me.

I glanced behind me to see no pretty girl behind me that he had his eye on. Westly chuckled at me and shook his head. “I’m looking at you if that’s what you’re wondering, Lane.”

“The look on your face just surprised me, that’s all,” I said softly back to him.

“We’re at a wedding. Do you expect me to hold your hand and look at you with the fieriest hatred imaginable?”

I giggled at his remark and I squeezed his hand back then turned back to watch the happy couple. I had seen Mrs. Davenport looking happy at his son and daughter-in-law. I knew she was happy for her son, but the way she was looking at them was like she was almost a sad happy. I guess it was because Kirk had always reminded her so much of his father.

Kirk and Daphne’s song ended, everyone clapped and they continued to dance as the songs changed, and other people flocked onto the dance floor. I took a sip of my champagne and watched. I just watched.

I was amazed at myself. That I had made it through the planning with Daphne alive. That Westly showed up. That everything was going perfect and according to the way it had been planned out to be. That I wasn’t hiding in the bathroom  crying my eyes out because of the fact that the boy that I loved wasn’t available anymore. Everything had changed, and I must say that it was for the better.