A Hedgehog's Day

A/N: Not sure what to call this. A 500-word fairytale/poem/writing exercise. Enjoy~ 

Franklin the Hedgehog put on his grey pants. One leg at a time. No tips, no tricks, no tacks. He buttoned up his sleeves and pulled down his collar. He looked in the mirror and wished he were taller.

Franklin the Hedgehog was very excited. He found it hard to ignore. 'Twas the day he'd been waiting for! A perfect spring day. The blossoms were bursting and the grasses green. The sun was shining, not a cloud to be seen.

He felt a tug on his pants, and looked down to see, little Frankie Junior with a wordless plea. With a sigh and a tut, Franklin bent down and picked his son up. Little Frankie Junior spun round and round. Even after Franklin had set him down.

"Whee!" little Frankie laughed, "That was much fun! Again, again, Daddy please, I want to be spun!"

But Franklin the Hedgehog shook sadly his head, "Son, gather your sisters, we must not tarry. Others are waiting for spring to arrive. Without it, without us, they cannot survive. Best hurry. Get ready."

Soon the family of four were dressed. All were in their Sunday best. They left the house in such a clutter. Paper, pens, and other scatter. But Franklin knew that 'twas no big matter. Spring cleaning they'd do on the day thereafter.

The Hedgehog Family arrived dead last. As they always had done in the past.

The bears, the wolves, the eagles, hid hungry smiles.

The cows, the pigs, the horses, were lined up for miles.

The squirrels, the rabbits, the mice, danced with delight.

The caterpillars, the worms, were consumed with fright.

Winter was waiting. With his crooked cane. He gestured and grumbled and whined yet again, "I hate this deal. Why must I keep it? Year after year, the hedgehog is undefeated!"

Franklin the Hedgehog took off his blue tie. He unbuttoned his buttons. He let out a sigh.

A lion stepped forward to judge their fair fight. "Spring v. Winter. Are you ready? Alright!"

The gun went off, the spectators screamed, but Franklin was gone, in a moment, like a dream. He was faster than lightning, faster than sound, faster than anybody else in town!

And as he ran, faster than anyone he knew, Franklin's ego swelled and swelled and grew. Just a mile from the finish, he settled under a tree. He'd take a nap and still win it, yes siree.

Suddenly Franklin heard, the voice of a sweet little bird. "Daddy, daddy, please awaken. Before your golden medal is taken. Winter is coming. He's in the running."

Franklin the Hedgehog shook off his sleepy surprise. He picked his son up and hoisted him up high.

Together they crossed the last mile to the finish. One father, one son. The crowds went wild at the image.

Winter limped in, second, but last. He growled, he snarled, he said he'd be back.

Franklin the Hedgehog sent Winter away. Little Frankie laughed and said, "Yay, spring is here to stay! "