Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

The clap of the horses' hooves against the road beat in rhythm as the carriage moved on toward the spa town of Harrogate. Travelers flocked to the location for its over eighty mineral springs that were said to have healing qualities, and it was a popular area for the well to do in society to spend their holiday.

Mary sat next to Colin, who chattered on as his father nodded now and then in the seat across from them. Watching the landscape roll by, Mary's thoughts centered on Dickon, and questioning how long this little sojourn would take.

"Mary, did you know there are caves we can see here?"

"Caves?"

"Now, Colin, your cousin is a fine lady now and won't like to go mucking about in dripping wet caves," his father cautioned.

"Oh, Father," Colin said. "I think she might like it. After all, she's quite an adventurous sort – aren't you, Mary?"

Mary turned to him and shrugged slightly. "At times, I suppose." She picked at her white gloves and smoothed her skirts, causing Colin to give her a nudge.

"You're not Miss Prim and Proper on us now, are you, Mary?"

"I don't know what you mean, Colin."

"Leave her, Colin," Lord Craven commanded.

Colin changed his tack and began asking about their destination. If it wasn't to be caves, he wanted to do something equally enthralling and exciting.

"We will visit one of the tea-shops—"

"A tea-shop?" Colin complained.

"—and we will walk in The Stray and enjoy the gardens."

"That sounds lovely, Uncle," said Mary, flashing him a broad smile. She hadn't meant to irritate Colin, but to express her pleasure at the itinerary. Nevertheless, Colin slumped in his seat and angrily took to the window, biting his lip tightly.

"I apologize for my son's impertinent attitude, Mary," said Archie.

"That's quite all right, Uncle. I'm sure I can help tame him once again. It might not be as difficult the second time around, but I do think he's worth the effort." Mary gave a small laugh and Archie smiled while Colin continued to scowl.

"I'm impertinent?" he asked angrily. "You're sitting here discussing me as if weren't even present! That's what I call impertinence!"

"Calm yourself, cousin, I was only joking," Mary explained, taking his arm and patting it gently to try and soothe his wounded ego. Colin perked up at the gesture and settled back, his face losing its sour expression. How many times had Mary seen him paint that ugly picture on his face only to have it washed away by her kindness? She remembered Colin's outbursts and how he thought he would never walk, never be loved. While pondering his attitude, a thought came to her that caused her a great deal of worry. What if Colin had been better when she was away in London? Had her presence caused him to revert to his old ways of childishness and jealousy? For a moment, Mary regretted coming back home. Then she recalled her experience with Dickon, and all regret vanished. Colin would have to accept that she had chosen Dickon. It didn't mean that she loved Colin less, but he was sure to take it that way when her engagement was announced.

Mary turned her attention to her uncle, who sat straight and proud across from her. She studied the lines on his face, the deep creases created by years of sadness and strife. His eyes held weariness though he was wide awake. She imagined how he might look when informed of Dickon Sowerby's intentions.