Chapter Four

Chapter Four

Dickon made the walk from his cottage to the Misselthwaite gardens in less than an hour. His feet seemed to step more lightly and the thought of seeing Mary again propelled him through the gorse and heather of the moor. He met with Ben Weatherstaff in one of the outer gardens where the older man was clipping a horse-shaped topiary.

"What's this, Mr. Weatherstaff?" he asked cordially. He'd never seen the master gardener take on such an artistic endeavor.

"Master Colin wanted a "representation" of his horse. I says, 'I canna do that, Master Colin,' but he insists. Sends me a man who knows how to do these things – he's just over there taking tea with Mrs. Medlock." Ben pointed toward the house where indeed a small table and chairs was set up. A gray haired man dressed in a suit sat across from Mrs. Medlock. It appeared they had struck up a friendship of some sort as Mrs. Medlock leaned over the table toward him every now and then and laughed uproariously whenever he spoke to her.

Dickon watched the spectacle for a moment. "Who is he?"

"He's sent here to help us with th' gardens," said Ben roughly as he snipped the delicate branches with sharp pruning shears. "Some help he is, too. Carted a half-done horse here and set it down, told me to finish it."

"He brought that here?"

"Says he grew it in his garden an' he'll teach me with it." The man's face took on a very sour expression and he shook his head. "Work without a point, lad."

"Aye," agreed Dickon. He was not accustomed to trying to craft flowers and trees into shapes unnatural to them.

"Tha'd best hurry and get to that garden before Medlock see yeh," said Ben. "Or she'll have thee carving an elephant for th' drive next! All their gardens will go to ruin but they will have a right green zoo to look upon!" He spat on the ground next to the "horse."

"I'll see you at noonday, Mr. Weatherstaff," said Dickon, and headed off to the locked garden. He alone had the key now as primary caretaker. Ben had left him to it in years past and Dickon had full run of the place. Now that Mary was home, Dickon wondered if she'd request the key again. It was she who found it those long years ago; it was only right for her to want it, but Dickon had grown protective of it and wasn't sure he wanted to give it up just yet. He decided to wait until it was requested; he would not offer it.

Dickon set about his work, every now and then stopping to see if Mary might be coming for a visit. There was no sign of her. Dickon kept watch over the house as he ate his lunch under the ivy near the door of the walled garden. Just after twelve, Mary and Colin appeared on the doorstep, dressed for riding. Dickon watched as Colin ordered his horse brought to him and in a few moments he was mounted upon a beautiful stallion. Mary waited by the door as Colin beckoned to her. She shook her head. Dickon ached to know what they were saying – did she not want to go riding with Colin? If not, why? Colin's voice was carried by the breeze to where Dickon hid; he must have been angry because his voice grew louder and louder until his words were finally distinguishable.

"Please yourself, Mary Lennox!" Colin spat angrily and sped off on his horse.

Mary looked toward the gardens again; there was no way she could see Dickon, he was too well hidden by the ivy. He held his breath as she walked toward him, down a footpath and into the brush. She was humming softly to herself, a tune Dickon did not recognize. He wondered whether he should make his presence known; in only a minute she might tread him him.