Chapter 14: First Anniversary

May 25, 1982

Angie smiled to herself as she clocked out of schedule for the day. In fact, she was smiling all day working, much to the confusion of her friends and coworkers. There were two reasons for her jubilant mood. One, it was because she was covering for Maria, out sick with the stomach flu. Her boss was very impressed with her volunteering to work on her day off, that she got a raise. Two, today was her and Austin's first anniversary together. Angie was quite stunned to see how time flew by like a whirlwind. Angie felt like it was just yesterday that she and Austin went through trials just to get to this point. And the relief Angie felt when she first kissed Austin, it was a thrill she'll never forget.

Angie stepped out of the hospital into the beautiful weather that the planet Earth has to offer, walking towards the bus stop, where she would always meet her lover. Things drastically changed between them within the year. Austin was fully loved and accepted into Angie's family, to the point when Austin would address Angie's mother as "Mama", just like Angie would address her. Her mother would always get a kick out of it. Her mother had said that if she and her late husband had a son, he would act just like Austin.

Angie was at the bus stop now, which seemed like an eternity for waiting. Angie huffed as she checked her watch for the time, while she heard a nasal, strong New York accented, gravelly sounding falsetto voice call out,

"Excuse me, Nurse? Can you help me? I kinda have a problem."

Angie turned around to see Austin looking like he's holding back a laugh, like a child. Angie smiled and shook her head.

"You can't stop being silly, can you?"

Austin shook his head no with the same look on his face, making Angie suck her teeth playfully. Austin finally burst out laughing, walking over to Angie and kissing her on the top of her head while tousling her loose curly hair. Angie always loved when Austin laughed, snorts and all. He hated it, but for Angie, it was one of her favorite sounds.

"How are you?" he asked in his normal voice, still hugging Angie.

"I feel like a million bucks," Angie replied, her head resting just beneath his chest. Austin was a giant compared to Angie's five feet four frame.

"Mmm, yeah? I think I have a pretty good idea," Austin said knowingly.

"Oh? And what's that?"

"It's 'cause we've been together for a year."

"Oh, baby, you remembered!" Angie squealed, hugging Austin harder, making him chuckle.

"Of course, I'd never forget our anniversary," Austin replied, with a narrowed look. "You'd be mad at me."

"Heh, you bet I would."

"Exactly."

Angie smiled up at him, making him kiss her on her forehead once more. The bus pulled up in front of the pair. As soon as they boarded the bus and paid their fares, they were taken aback at the fact the bus was filled to the brim with people. Angie scowled at the fact that she had to stand up during the ride when she stood on her feet for over eight hours.

"What's going on?" Austin thought out loud.

"A bus broke down by 77th," a man standing next to them explained. "It was an old bus, I don't know why the hell those buses were still on the streets."

"Wow, thanks for letting us know," Angie said to the man.

"No problem," the man replied.

"Wonder when the Transit Authority would do something right for once," Austin grumbled.