Chapter 5 (The Crash)

Chapter 5     The Crash

“I need to talk to you Jared,” I froze in my tracks and turned around.

Mrs. Hernandez looked sad. There was a sad look in her eye and I knew that something happened that Jared needs to know about by his mom not me.

“Okay,” I said slowly.

Mrs. Hernandez walked away from me and into the living room. I followed her into the room and sat on the couch across from her. She looked down at her hands and then looked back up at me with a guilty look.

“Can you call Vivienne and see if she can come over? It’s about her parents,” Mrs. Hernandez asked.

I shook my head. I walked out of the room on autopilot. What could have happened to my parents that Mrs. Hernandez could look sad about? Speaking of which I haven’t heard from them for quite a while. What could have happened to them?

I pulled out Jared’s phone and called Jared. After the second ring he picked up.

“Hello. What do you want and make it fast,” Jared answered. I smiled at the way he answered.

“Jared its Vivienne. Your mom needs you to come over so come quickly,” I croaked trying to hold back sobs.

“I will be right over,” Jared said.

I hung up and shoved the phone back into my pocket. I walked back into the living room and waited for Jared to come.

A couple of minutes later Jared knocked on the door. I got up and answered the door. I let Jared in and walked into the living room but on the way in I whispered, “Make sure you act the way I would act.”

He gave a short nod and sat down on the couch beside me.

Mrs. Hernandez sniffed back a small sob and spoke, “Vivienne your parents… They boarded a plane but the plane never landed. Nobody knows what happened to your parents or if they are even alive.”

What!? Their plane never landed. How could this happen? I let out a strangled sound. I don’t know what it exactly sounded like but it was weird. What surprised me next was how good Jared was at acting.

“What?” Jared let out a small sob.

Jared took a moment to process the info. After a second or two she started to cry. I pulled her into a hug and she cried on my shoulder.

“Jared why don’t you take Vivienne home so she can get some rest,” Mrs. Hernandez spoke softly.

I nodded my head and lead Jared out to the garage. On my way out I grabbed the keys to Jared’s bike. I opened the garage door and walked to the bike. Jared now had stopped crying and followed me. He froze when he got to the bike. I turned around and looked at him.

“Don’t worry I’m a careful driver. You taught me,” I told him.

“I… I can’t,” Jared stuttered.

“Just try,” I said while handing him a helmet.

“I haven’t ridden it since Dad and I crashed and now he is in a coma for however long,” Jared told me.

I knew about his accident but that happened a little under a year ago now, “You can either dwell on the past or focus on the future. You choose.”

My little speech made Jared grab the extra helmet that I handed to him and got on. She wrapped her arms around my waist so tight that I thought I was going to pass out from lack of oxygen. I started the bike and drove out of the garage. It was a short ride to my house and before I knew it I was trying to pry Jared’s arms from around my waist.