As I pull up in her driveway, I honk twice.  I plug my phone into the car and scrolled through my playlist. I play 'Hollaback Girl' by Gwen Steffani, as Kayla walks out, putting her back pack in the back seat. 

I pull out of her driveway and start the short drive to the school. When we pull up, I notice the three boys I had seen at the stop light, they’re all gathering around their car, except there’s a fourth person to their group. He’s a brown curly haired boy.

The tan, black haired guy looks my way, and then his friends look towards me. I pull the top up on my car and stuff my phone into my back pocket. Today is going to be a long day, considering all the things going on with Kayla and her boyfriend. I will most likely get pulled into it.

I walk to my locker and type in the combination, 9-24-7. I grab my U.S. history book and begin my walk to class. Berknar High isn't a very exciting place, it never has been, probably never will be. The only thing our school is known for, is the violence that happens here on a daily basis. 

"Good morning, Miss Santiagos." Mrs. Calvin, my history teacher, greets me as I walk into the door. I wouldn't call myself a teacher’s pet, but a lot of my teachers take a liking in me. I mumble a greeting back to her before sitting down at my desk, I sit in the back corner, farthest away from the door, at a two seated desk, with no one sitting beside me. It gets lonely back here, but I'm not complaining, I enjoy being alone most of the time. 

The bell rings and several students shove through the door to get into the classroom, the only empty seat in the room is next to me, I'm not sure how that happened, but it's the only one. "Alright class, settle down." Mrs. Calvin smiles at us all and waves her hands, trying to calm us, but it's more like she's directing a circus because no one is quieting down. "Everyone be quiet!" She yells and the hollers and laughter die down. "Today we have a new student, and I hope you all treat him with kindness and like any other one of your classmates. Ashton, introduce yourself." The curly headed boy I had seen walks into the room with his head hanging down, his long curly hair covering his ears.

"Um, my names Ashton Irwin, I'm eighteen years old and enjoy reading." Several kids, yes kids, only kids are that immature, laugh at him and I shake my head, of course they would find a way to pick on the new kid. I guess I have something in common with the new kid, we both enjoy reading.

"Now everyone hush! Have some respect for the great literature in the world like Ashton does." Mrs. Calvin frowns at her disrespectful students and begins handing Ashton his textbooks for this class. "You can sit next to Aliyah in the back." My head snaps up and I shake my head, no way, I've sat in this seat from the beginning of the year, all alone, and no one is sitting there. "Go on." I'm forced to push my things to one side of the desk and let him set his things on the other side.

I scoot my chair up against the wall, as far away from Ashton as I could get. I don't like new people, especially when they're intruding my personal space. He laughs slightly at me being uncomfortable and looks towards the front of the room.

In history, we do the same thing every day, take notes for about four days, have two days to study our notes, take a test. It's actually quite easy, if you read over the notes and put effort into it. I look over at Ashton, who is focused on the board, copying down the notes that are scribbled on the board. His handwriting is pretty, he dots his 'I's with small circles and writes his periods as small circles also.

Ashton P.O.V.

I have to admit, Aliyah's uncomfortableness in my presence is funny, she fidgets every once in a while and tries to move farther away from me at all costs. I catch her looking at me and smile over at her, she blushes and looks down at her paper, writing the notes in a pretty cursive writing. Maybe she would be my friend eventually, the only friends I have at this school are Calum, Luke, and Ashton. We all live in the same gated community, The Plaza, it's a nice place but most kids that live they’re conceited.