Why Do I Even Try?

"Newt, I think Frank wants food." I yelled at my cousin, and he ran over, and Frank happily ate his food. I giggled at the Thunderbird, whom I was extremely fond of, and stroked his head. He nuzzled me, and then I looked to make sure Newt was gone, and found myself walking to where the obscurus was. I sat in the corner if the room, watching it, until I heard the case door shut. Newt had gone out. I didn't mind. I quite liked being able to sit by myself and just watch. The case opened again, maybe a few hours later as I was wandering. I immediately darted away upon realising that it wasn't Newt, or Jacob, or Queenie, or even Tina. I hid with the obscurus, wand out, although due to my obscurial situation, I could only do simple magic. Soon enough, a sing!e person entered, and I held my wand to his throat. I didn't look at him, instead suppressing the dark force inside of me. "What are you doing here? Where is Newt? And if you think you're getting the lil did behind me, you've got another thing coming." I snapped. The guy laughed. Oh, wait. I recognised that. I looked up, and saw Grindelwald. Knowing that he was by himself in here, because he'd not brought anyone else, he'd let his disguise down, and he looked like his normal self. It took me a moment to process this. God, he looked different. Last time I'd seen him looking like himself, we were 16. I smiled at the thought. Not to mention that DAMN, he'd gotten good-looking. He was anyway, but even more so. Then he spoke. "What are you doing?" He asked me. I frowned. "Never mind. Magical beasts are illegal in America, and to keep my facade up, I've got to act like a MACUSA wizard too. Your cousin is currently being held. Don't give me that look. Don't. You know I can't take that look. Ah. That's why you're doing it." He explained, and I pulled out the cute look on him. He was trying to ignore it, but eventually he gave up. "Stop." He groaned, and I did so, slowly. "You'll let him go?" I asked. He avoided my gaze. "Gellert. If you're taking him, you're taking me." I growled, and he looked at me with a pained expression on his face, one I'd seen once before before he left. "Sasha, don't make me." He sighed, and I stared at him, a blank expression upon my face. "Sasha." He said again, and I turned my back to him, and looked at the obscurus. It was trying to escape, and attack. "Don't hurt them. The beasts. Don't." I looked back at Gellert,who was facing the wall now, thinking. He sighed. "Don't let them find out what you are." He mumbled. I nodded once, and he came closer to me, arms spread awkwardly as if he was going to hug me, but then he let them drop. "Uhhhh...sorry." He said quietly. I smiled, and hugged him anyway. "It's fine." I chuckled, amused by his lack of social skills, even with me. He laughed quietly, and as he went to raise his wand to immobilise me, he let his arm drop again, and looked me in the eye. "That massive hint you dropped? I sort of took it seriously." He stated quickly, before leaning in to kiss me. I stood, stunned for a second, and he stepped back, and I smirked. "You...go on." I said, and he proceeded to use 'Petrificus Totalus' on me. He caught me before I hit the ground, then made the bubble containing the Obscurus float along behind him, and used transfiguration to disguise himself once more, and we left the case. He put me in with Newt, and unfroze me. I looked him in the eye, and saw a tiny glint of regret, then looked at Newt. "What happened?" It wasn't a question. He already knew. "Is that?" He asked. That was a question. I shook my head. Lie. Such a lie. Why am I protecting him? Newt nodded slowly, believing me. "I told him not to hurt the beasts. He's got the obscurus though. Newt, what if they find out?" I panicked slightly, and he shut his eyes, and pinched the bridge of his nose. He knows they'll kill me.