Chapter #1| The wolf (Edited)

Walking through woods behind his home is what Adam Cleveland likes to do. The woods is his haven, an escape from the frustration of university. His mind filled with information he needed to memorise for an upcoming exam.

He never understood why he felt drawn to the woods. He sees it every day and yet as he ventures through the same path he takes every afternoon it still feel new to him. He closes his eyes breathing in the fresh air and hearing the sound of nature. He didn't need music to keep him motivated, the sound of nature is his own playlist.

Capturing the scenery with his digital camera, Adam never missed a perfect shot of a herd of deer. He kneels quietly zooming his lense to a mother deer and her newborn baby. Both stand close to each as the baby deer suckle on its mothers' milk. Such a beautiful scene of mother and child, Adam couldn't miss this shot. The flash of his camera startled to deer dashing away from Adam.

Adam venture further into the woods and careful to be alert to his surroundings. As his brother stated, wolves are known to make the woods their home. Adam wasn't afraid of the vicious creatures people claim them to be. They're wild animals after all and only minding their own business. He couldn't blame an animal attacking upon self-defence.

This is their land first and the least he could do is admire and leave the wildlife alone. For the months he lived at his home and his walks through the wood, Adam hadn't seen a wolf upon his exploration. It is a good thing sadly, Adam wouldn't want the wolf to feel threatened by his presence. Adam wanted to capture the beauty of the woods and hopefully bring awareness to those who think otherwise. Wanting to publish his own picture book Adam had yet to capture a wolf in action let along one at all.

Its a risk he's willing to take and yet he'll still an amateur himself. Fairly to new to photography, Adam has still had a long way to go. Following the path back to his home a sound of whimpers can be heard behind him. Immediately Adam was on guard ready to defend himself with a stick he picked from the ground. This never happened before, Adam wasn't what to expect.

His mind screamed for him to run home and away from whatever animal it may be. His legs move on its slowly walking towards the sound of an injured animal. He isn't an expert caring for injured wildlife but he wouldn't forgive himself leaving a poor defenceless creature to die on its own. As further, he walked the loudly the whimpers came to be. He slowly peeked over a tall tree surprised to see a wolf laying on the same stop he was on minutes ago.

The wolf is larger than he thought they'll be. Its paw maybe the same size as his face, call him dramatic but the wolf is huge compared to his height. His beautiful grey coat cover in mud as it thrashes its body trying to escape from a trap planted by hunters. Anger boiled within, the council announcement meant nothing to these bastards. Hunting is forbidden and yet they continue to disobey the law. The trap crunch onto the wolf's paw, a pool of blood can be seen beneath it.

It whimpered as it tries to free its paw which only tightened the trap. Quickly dropping his bag carefully approaching the wolf, he needed to stop him before it causes more damage. The wolf growled attempting to snap at Adam as he approaches the wolf. He tried to ease his frightened body, people may call him crazy for even attempting to help a wild animal.

"It-Its okay, I am here to help," said Adam. Showing his hands to the wolf and to show he wasn't a threat he manages to step forward until the wolf growled again warning him to back off. He wasn't sure how to free the wolf but he needed to do something fast. His whimpers could alert the hunters who planted the trap.

Throwing his jacket on the wolf's face, Adam quickly took action while the wolf is distracted. His small hands grip on the trap, using all his strength the try to pull it apart. Every second count before the wolf attacks him. Within seconds Adam manages to move away before the wolf's teeth grip onto his arm.

"I am trying to help you" Adam growled. He glared at the wolf, angered by its reaction. The wolf stops growling titling its head to the side.

"Don't act surprised, I want to help you?" he said. The wolf huffed ignoring Adam's response. The wolf whimpered as he licked its paw. Slowly Adam approached again but this time the wolf allowed him to help. Pulling the trap apart just enough for the wolf to pull free. His anxiety risen as he saw the state of its paw. Skin barely attached to its paw, the wolf couldn't move from exhaustion and pain.