Chapter 17

Timmy-

"What are you doing here, honey?", his whole demeanor changes and suddenly I'm looking at a different Armie. The one who's in love with Elizabeth. The one pre- 'us'. Are we an 'us'? Is he acting for her sake? or is this how he's really feeling? I can't be sure.

She smiles, warm but not completely real. I can tell she's a little upset but she doesn't want us to know it.

"Well, husband, maybe you'd know if you picked up your phone", she says with a hint of aggression in her voice before placing a sweet kiss to his lips.

"Are you staying?", he asks, he sounds hopeful and it hurts my stomach, makes me feel like the last 24 hours had all been a dream.

"Just for the night, I'll be leaving tomorrow", she says breezily.

"Timmy, dear, I've missed you", she pulls me into a tight embrace, eye level with me from her sky-high heels. I return the hug but am overwhelmed with jealousy and guilt. I hadn't expected to face her so soon. I prepare to put on my mask of happiness.

"I've missed you too", is all I can manage.

"Well, are you two going to show me to one of your rooms so we can discuss my being here or are you just going to gawk at me?", she says in such a smooth tone it makes me wonder if she's rehearsed this. Elizabeth has always been the type to plan ahead and gauge others reactions to manipulate; she's a master at this craft.

I know she's mad that Armie wasn't answering his phone. I'd hate to say it but part of me thinks she's upset with me too. I did hear my name when Armie was talking to her on the phone yesterday, but I didn't think much of it. Could she be onto us?

So many things are going on in my head but Armie comes up with a quick response.

"Actually honey, Timmy and I were just about to head back down for brunch. I just needed to come up to grab my wallet. We did a bit of sight-seeing before you arrived."

We just ate, where is he going with this?

"So, Timmy, why don't you show Elizabeth to the restaurant and i'll meet you both down there", he says. As we turn to leave he catches my eye gives me a distressed look before unlocking the door to our room. I make my way with Elizabeth back down the hall and she talks about a bakery she's dying to check out while she's here.

Armie-

I close the door to our room and rest my head against the back of it, exhaling deeply.

What the fuck?

Maybe you should've answered the damn phone Armie, I think to myself.

I could see in Timmy's eyes that he's confused and somewhat hurt, and I hate this constant ache in my chest from watching him suffer. I know it seemed like I was blocking him out and that it's all about Elizabeth, but I hope he can understand that she is my wife and she can't know what's going on.

I needed to get her out so that I could get Timmy's things into the second room and out of ours. Ours. I guess it wouldn't be ours tonight.

She can't know that we slept in the same room, let alone in the same bed. I know she loves Timmy but I also know she thinks we spend too much time together and I worry she thinks something is going on between us. If she walked in to find his stuff everywhere it would only deepen her theory.

I mean...something  is obviously going on between us, but I'm not ready to have that discussion with her. She's one of my best friends, and although we've known each other for over 10 years I don't think I can say to her what needs to said; I have to hold onto the hope that she's oblivious.