Chapter 5: Payback's a Bree

Start from the beginning

"We?" asked Bree as Kitty and I joined Marley on the floor.

"We," Kitty and I said in unison. Bree was fuming. Marley nodded at the band and although they weren't expecting this until later, they went along with it.

The plan was for us to dance with her so that it would look better. She was more focused on the singing, but we started her off.

Kitty: Say hello to the girl that I am!
Julie: You're gonna have to see through my perspective
Kitty: I need to make mistakes just to learn who I am
Julie: And I don't wanna be so damn protected
Marley: There must be another way cause I believe in taking chances. But who am I to say What a girl is to do? God, I need some answers

Marley's dance moves weren't as elaborate but she could get away with it because she was singing lead.

Marley (Kitty and Julie): What am I to do with my life. (You will find it out don't worry) How am I supposed to know what's right? (You just got to do it your way) I can't help the way I feel. But my life has been so overprotected.

She went on to sing the rest as a solo, with us being her background dancers and singers. And she did an amazing job. When the song was over, everyone clapped for her and Santana even whistled and stood. Bree, however was not pleased. And neither was Brittany.

"I'm sorry, Marley," she told her. "But my assignment was to do a solo. And you had a lot of help."

"But I worked really hard to pull that off," said Marley, her voice weakening as she lost some of her confidence.

"Yeah," said Santana. "Come on, Britt, she was amazing."

"You all heard Britt," Bree said smugly. "Her performance was not satisfying so that means all of you can just accept defeat already and--"

“You know Bree,” Santana interrupted her. “You sort of remind me of a gnat. In case you didn’t know, that’s an annoying little insect that buzzes for the longest time, spoils your meal, and then goes to swim in crap. That’s you. And you can keep buzzing your little messages of pure evil into Britt's ears but she's not going to fall for your crap. Brittany, come on. How can you possibly side with that evil thing?"

"Well, Santana," Brittany said softly. "Bree kind of just reminds me of you in high school. So, if what she says is crap, then what you told me for four years also was."

"Britt..." Santana mumbled, surprised. Bree smiled complacently.

"It's true," Brittany said. "Santana, I love you, but if you can't see how similar Bree is to you then I don't know what to tell you."

"Yeah," said Bree. "So just accept your loss, Santana, and let it go..."

Santana became furious but she would never take it out on Brittany. So instead she turned to Bree. "Sabes que, tu eres la hija del demonio! Eres peor que yo y para que lo sepas yo soy de Lima Heights y te voy a--" At this point Bree was shrieking as Santana was on top of her and I was cracking up. Devil child, funny! Mr. Schue and Ryder pulled Santana away.

"You may be the only one who understood her," said Kitty as she laughed, "but my guess is that was funny no matter what language she said it in."

"Brittany," said Santana. "We're leaving. I can't stand the idea of you remaining around her toxic fumes much longer."

***

"Hey," said John as he approached me after lunch, by my locker. 

"Um, hi," I said.

"I just wanted to tell you that what you did for Marley was really great," he said. "Even if it didn't work out."

"You're not just saying that because Kitty was involved?" I asked.