when i first saw you

2012

The first time Harry Potter saw Draco Malfoy was at the Kids' Choice Awards. Draco had risen to fame as a singer when he was teenager and he was the object of Harry's celebrity crush. Now, Harry Potter had stepped into the spotlight, along with his band, and he was really hoping to meet Draco at least once.

"Oi, Harry," his bandmate and best friend, Ron Weasley, called, "We're on next."

"Yeah, yeah, coming," he responded, taking a calming breath before joining his band.

The stage lights went down and the five went out and took their places on the stage to the screams of thousands of fans. The intro of their hit song, "The One for Me," started and the excited screams got louder. The lights went up and Seamus began singing the first verse.

Harry looked around and his breath caught when he saw Draco Malfoy in the VIP section. But no, Draco wasn't just standing there, he was smiling.  He was singing along to the song. Harry's song.

Harry was so shocked, he almost missed his verse. Snapping out of his daze, he brought the microphone to his lips and his gaze back to Draco, only to find Draco gazing back at him. Harry poured his heart and soul into the performance, never breaking eye contact with the blond, who sang along from the stands.

/*/*/*/*/*

Harry stood with his band, Our Destiny, greeting fans and other performers. Out of the corner of his eyes, he saw a shock of white-blond hair and turned to see Draco Malfoy headed his way. His eyes widened and he turned to his bandmates, trying to convey his panic with his eyes.

Suddenly, Draco was standing in front of him and he was looking at him with his beautiful eyes and he was smiling at him with that smile and his beautiful mouth was moving and oh, he was talking.

Be cool, Harry. Don't make a fool of yourself.

Draco was looking at him, an amused smirk playing across his handsome features.

Harry gulped, trying not to make his nervousness too obvious. "H-hey."

Draco smiled. "I just wanted to tell you that you did great tonight. I really loved your performance. I mean, you all did great," he said, gesturing to the rest of the band. But when his eyes locked with Harry's, they seemed to say, "But you, especially."

"I'll see you around," Draco said. He winked at Harry and left.

Once the superstar was out of sight, Harry let out and embarrassingly high-pitched squeal.

Dean smirked at him. "You okay there, mate?"

"Fine, fine. I'm fine," Harry responded, rubbing the back of his neck.

Dean laughed, but left him alone.

/*/*/*/*/*

Our Destiny was invited to a party being thrown by teen heartthrob, Blaise Zabini, a few days later.

Harry knew that Draco and Blaise were not close, but Blaise was dating Draco's dear friend, pop star and actress Pansy Parkinson. He found himself hoping against hope that he would find the blond singer at the party.

They arrived and entered the mansion that was teeming with A-listers. Harry scanned the room immediately, looking for the tell-tale shock of white-blond hair, but his search yielded nothing. He smiled at familiar faces and grabbed a beer.

"Aren't you underage?" a voice drawled. Harry startled and heat rose to his cheeks when he turned to see Draco standing closely behind him.

"I'm 18," he responded, raising his head a little.

"I know, but the legal drinking age is 21." Draco's grey eyes twinkled.

Harry filed away the"Draco Malfoy knows about me" freakout to have when he was alone.

"Maybe in America, but I'm British. I've been able to drink for two months now."

Draco hummed in response and took a sip of Harry's beer. Harry swallowed, not letting himself think about the implications behind the action. Someone called Draco's name and he held up a finger, signaling that he would be there momentarily.

"I gotta go," he said, a hint of regret in his voice. "How long will you be here?"

Harry shrugged. "I dunno. Depends on my bandmates, really. Arrive as one, leave as one. We don't want to have the media starting rumours of a scandal this early into our career."

"Understandable, but you'll have to get used to it fast. That kind of stuff comes with the territory. Tabloids can spin a story out of nothing and people will believe it. You'll never believe the insane things I've heard about myself, but that's a story for a different day. See you later." With that, he walked off.

Harry sighed, dreamily. There it was, again. That promise of seeing him in the future. Those were the words that Harry clung to as his celebrity crush became less of a fantasy.