Propositions and Demands

Fletcher regarded Trace with awe, having him on the side of the alpha would be great. Someone who could instill the law and protect when necessary. In short, he'd be the perfect beta. "When did you get back to the pack?" Trace smiled briefly and sort of chuckled humorlessly at the question. "Well, I came back after the pack meeting was declared. Someone from Leather Hide told me of the raid here and I went straight home. If I knew before about the raid I'd have come home to fight." He looked away guilty, "I didn't know. I came back and I find my pack in ruins. It broke my heart. I came as quickly as I could and made it back as the challenges were beginning. So, great timing, huh?"
Fletcher shook his head. "Understatement of the century, bro. He look up and turned serious." So, will you take the beta oath?" He waited as Trace sat in shock at his proposal, him, a beta of the Makoce pack? His mind was quick to wonder at all the possibilities this opportunity offered. He sat up a little straighter and a look of determination crossed into his eyes. "Beta Fletcher, it would be my honor to become a beta of the Makoce pack.. But under one condition" 

Fletcher leaned back as if he were struck. A condition? Casey would kill him if Mr. Black wolf came in demanding things. He thought hard as he stared at this wolf. He was a hero in his eyes, the help they needed as they dealt with the blood lusting wolves. He got Casey to the hospital before her body gave out on her. He thought long and hard- the challenges replaying painfully in his mind, "Name your price, Black wolf." Trace looked at Fletcher in all seriousness, no evidence of joking or kidding lay upon the man's face. Fletcher took it as the demand to be hefty and possibly unable to be fulfilled. He sucked in a breath, nervous that this man he barely knew was so brazen to even consider making a demand.

Trace let out a breath and steeled himself, "I will agree to the beta oath if I can bring a group of Leather Hide to the pack."

Fletcher nearly choked on his spit as the words came out of Trace's mouth. "You cannot be serious, man!! Leather Hide don't work with others, they train, prepare, and take care of their own pack, they don't mingle, Trace. Ever. Trace held his hands up defensively as Fletcher panicked." Easy, man. They're not as scary as you think. They only stay to themselves because it was what Casey's dad wanted. They had an agreement together and now that Casey's dad is gone, the agreement is now null and void. They have a great interest in this pack since the raid, I think it'll benefit us all if we can work together." Trace stopped talking and waited for the reaction of Fletcher, he knew what he was asking for was a lot, but it was something he had to do. He had to take a chance and he had to make it known that Leather Hide wanted to come.

Fletcher eyed him suspiciously. He didn't talk for what seemed forever, time seemed to have slowed as the two stared at each other thoughtfully. He had to do right by Casey. Doc said she'd wake up tomorrow, but it wasn't a full guarantee. She could be out for 2 days or more and the pack needed immediate help and leadership. They needed action and without Casey being able to, it was up to Fletcher to make the decision. He'd suck up to Casey later, he thought to himself hastily. Fletcher took a deep breath and sighed slowly, holding onto his wounds. "What are the demands of Leather Hide?" Trace let out a breath and rubbed his hands on his jeans slowly, as if he were a bit nervous. "They want to come help rebuild, add their warriors to the borders while the rebuilding process takes place. They want to help re-establish the pack so it can run on its own again."
Fletcher eyed black wolf wearily, there was something else...
"What do they want in return, there's something you're not telling me, Trace."

Short chapter, but I'm developing it as I go. You'll see more next chapter as well as a visit to miss alpha Casey.