“If you want to smoke, don’t do it without me.” I say, pulling his cigarette from his mouth and taking a long pull.

He wrinkles his nose, “You know I hate it when you smoke.” He snatches it from my fingers before I can take another pull.

“Don’t do it in front of me then.” I smirk, pushing his shoulder to make him walk.

I’m sleeping at Ryan’s house tonight. Tomorrow morning I’ll stop at my mother’s house to tell her that Ryan and I are heading for a little trip to the other side of the country. I wasn’t going to tell her where exactly we were going, but I knew that she needed to know even if she didn’t care all that much. My bags were packed and waiting for me in my closet. Last week Ryan had decided I required new gloves for New York. Waiting for me in my bag at home was a pair of black gloves with blue flames designed from the knuckles upward. The rest of my fighting gear remained the same, a plain black tank top and black boxing shorts. Ryan had sorted our plain tickets and apparently his ‘friend’ Mike would be picking us up from the airport. To say I was excited about leaving this place for a few weeks with my best friend would be an understatement.

We chat as we walk to Ryan’s home, which is situated just on the outskirts of downtown. The houses here are nothing like the one I live in. While that is all glass and marble, this is pure home. Medium sized homes line the streets, each with its own patch of greenery. Ryan’s is painted a soft blue, with added touches of dark blue.

We step through the door and I am immediately engulfed in a warm hug.

“How you doing honey?” I smile against David’s shoulder, breathing in his scent. It was warm and safe. Home.

“I’m great dad, and you?” I smile into his blue eyes which are the exact replicas of Ryan’s. I know he loves when I call him dad. It had being one of those fun days with Ryan and his father and somehow a pillow fight had ensured. Ryan had been picking on me and David had grabbed Ryan and started tickling him. I had giggled and shouted “Get him dad!” Only when I saw both Ryan and David staring at me with wide eyes did I realize what I had said. I remember the tears pooling up and David was already kneeling in front of me. He had hugged me tight, reassuring me that he was my dad as much as he was Ryan’s and I could call him that anytime. I never stopped.

“I’m good but I would like to know, are you getting too old for me, or am I getting too old for you?” he smiles and he looks so much like Ryan, only with lines surrounding his eyes.

“Neither.” I smile, shaking my head before kissing him on the cheek.

“Good! Now come on dinner is ready.”

Dinner is filled with laughs and the most delicious spaghetti and meat balls. What I love about dinner at this house is how real it is. We eat around a small wooden table, using simple plates and glasses. There is no napkins and gold and silver forks and knives. We drink Coca Cola even after Ryan decides to drink straight from the bottle. I feel as if I don’t want to leave this house. To just live in this love forever.

“Are you all ready for tomorrow?” David asks as we clear the table. Ryan is currently using the foam of the dish-washing water to make himself a fake mustache.

He nods, “Yup, our flight leaves at two, so we have enough time to get Lea’s luggage and get to the airport.”

I chuckle as I watch the foam slide down his lip and into his mouth making him spit and curse. Sam shakes his head at his son as he pulls his wallet out.

I grab his hand, “Don’t you even think about it.” I raises my eyebrows at him.

“You going to need money for transport and food.” He insists.